Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC TO PC DIRECT CONNECTION ERR 777

• Please log in to reply

MBW

MBW

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, Simply trying to set up a direct connection...pc to pc...using Cat 5e Crossover Cable...to share files and printers only (not internet). Set up Host and Guest using New Connection Wizard. When I try to connect to host computer, get...(Err 777...The connection attempt failed because the modem on the remote computer is out of order)...Why is modem an issue when just connecting to share files? Note: Host is running XP Home and Guest is running XP Pro. Help?

Get Limited or No Connectivity err on host...says problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. Do not know how to check ip addresses...or what to do if I could.

Network Adapters show working properly on both computers.

Edited by MBW, 23 January 2006 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Error 777

1. The modem isn't working. If external, powercycle it, if internal, reboot the computer.

2. Make sure the modem\ethernet is plugged in securely. This includes external cables, and the PCI or ISA slot seating if internal.

3. Make sure the computer is not trying to dial multiple connections, that it has no fax software, etc using the modem.

4. Reinstall the modem\ethernet drivers.

Maybe you not going about sharing files the correct way, install any network drivers you may have and make sure the network cable is in correctly. Try and ping the host. (You can get host ip by typing "ipconfig" in command prompt on host computer), if the ping fails make sure any firewalls are turned off, including windows firewall, and try again. Once you have established a connection, you can start sharing files. Do a search for "Computers" (Here you must type in the host computer name) the computer should pick up the person connected to your computer from there just double click on network user to start sharing files.

Enjoy, let me know if this works. :tazz:

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for reply...I know my modem works because I use it to access internet with dial-up connection...Will check ethernet (may be disabled). Question...if I manage to make connection, can host computer use internet connection dialing up through internal modem at the same time guest is connected to host?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
MBW,
Are you plugging the Ethernet cable (from the client computer) directly into the Host computers internal modem, or are you plugging it into a Network Adapter port?

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan G,

Plugging into Network Adapter (Netgear)...Found it was disabled...Enabled it.

Now get yellow triangle on network icon on Host...Limited or no connectivity...same 777 err message on Guest.

Have tried to connect these computers several times and have always given up in complete frustration at this point! Any suggestions?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you installed all of your drivers for your Network Adapter?

Right-click on My Computer, and select Manage -- now click on Device Manager, scroll down to Network Adapters and make sure there is no warning sign beside it. If there is, expand it and then select your Adapter and install any drivers etc..

Does the Host connect to the Internet fine? Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

Any change in the Limited or no connectivity message?

The 777 error on the Client computer is probably because you might've actually set your computer up for Internet Connection Sharing, but have not shared the connection. Check to see if you have ICS properly setup here.

MBW

MBW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan G,

I recently reinstalled XP Pro on guest computer (complete installation)...found that Ethernet controller driver was not installed (Broadcom onboard NDIS 5.1), so I installed that yesterday. There may be other drivers/ components not installed on that computer?

Also, on guest, I am only user and just left set up as administrator with no password...could that be a problem?

Host Ethernet Adapter shows working properly. No problem connecting to internet on host.

I do not plan to share internet (using NetZero HiSpeed Dialup on host) tried to do that previously, and have aborted that dream. So should I turn off ICS?

I really have adjusted my expectations, and will be satisfied if I can just share the printer that is sitting between the two PC's...should I just forget it and buy a second printer?

Thanks, MBW