Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how can i protect an art website im making?

• Please log in to reply

truebritmega

truebritmega

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya everyone.
Im putting together a website for the drawings i do, but i want to protect the site from having its images etc stolen.
I know i can disable the right click feature with some free webscript, but i know if i have wanted to save something before ive bypassed that by simply saving the complete page lol, is there any way i can stop visitors to the site doing this and stealing my images etc?
I've seen some art sites prevent the source being shown and then the page cant be saved? is that perhaps the answer? and how do i do that?

I use Microsoft front page 2000 to build my sites.

the test page i have put up so far (just to get a feel of how i want the overall site to look) the test site addy is www.pup.s.ukonline.co.uk

hopes someone can help

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The short answer - you cant.

You can load some simple no-right-click java script that may stop a newbie from saving the images, but anyone who knows anything about computers can still get them.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
best method is water marking your images, altho0ugh this is still nto 100 percent it would require a large deal of work id the watermark is applied to the image properly. as they would need to photoshop out the water mark

Wikipedia - says this about water marks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hiya everyone.
Im putting together a website for the drawings i do, but i want to protect the site from having its images etc stolen.
I know i can disable the right click feature with some free webscript, but i know if i have wanted to save something before ive bypassed that by simply saving the complete page lol, is there any way i can stop visitors to the site doing this and stealing my images etc?
I've seen some art sites prevent the source being shown and then the page cant be saved? is that perhaps the answer? and how do i do that?

The only foolproof way to prevent anybody from stealing your work is to not put it online in the first place.

Don't forget, people look at the site and their web browser, by design, downloads everything it asks for from your site into its own storage area. It's very well documented where the major browsers keep their downloaded stash and you can get the stuff from there. You don't even need to right-click these days.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop people saving pages, images, text etc from your website if they want to and it would be one huge security hole if you could do such a thing. There is no Holy Grail in this.