Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC cables unplugged => no results

• Please log in to reply

ernso705

ernso705

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was having a problem with my PC, I was getting a blue screen no matter what I did with the hard drive. I re-installed XP on the hard drive (using another PC), then I put the hard drive back in the original computer and thought everything should be fixed, but I was still getting the blue screen. So I thought it was a hardware problem so I just started to unplug all the cables from the motherboard to kinda reset everything. I unplugged the hard drive, the cd drive, dvd drive, floppy drive, power supply cables, and the CPU. I put everything back in their propper slots and turned the PC on. The PC turned on, I was able to see the indication lights but the screen wouldn't come on. I left the PC on for a while hoping it would warm up but nothing happend.

Can anyone help, please. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you removed the CPU did you clean then reapply thermal paste, when you install XP on a different machine it wont work on any other machine uness it is completely identical to the one it was installed on. I think you have missed something when you put it back together again because if you did the problem should be the same.

ernso705

ernso705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey worrior thanks for the reply. I did not re-apply thermal paste, I didn't know about that. I have my PC and it doesn't use thermal past, the heatsink just sits on top of the. But I think I did plug everything in, I know there wasn't any other wires free after I plugged everything in. I'll take another look at it when I have time and I'll look into that thermal glue. Thanks.