Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to decide on these 2 Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They came out late for everyone, mind you it was just the x1800s that were late(and Nvidia didnt actually release there next gen card, the 7 series now was a backup after the failure of the newer core design fell through and they were unable to fix it in time for release(its the core they are putting in the PS3 as far as i know now its fixed), all the 7 series are actually adpated and optimised 6 series the essential core architecture remains almost the same).

Customer support is handled by the card manufacturer eg. Asus, evga, HIS so you get good and bad with both on the developer side customer support from ati and nvidia in reallity stops with the drivers, on that front ati have the lead with the excellent catalyst drivers and hydravision and those arent just for one place they are global. Although you look at the x1900 and if you are going for the best(as you would be at that budget) even though it costs more its hands down the best card on the marke so the obvious choice over a gtx, its not that ATI cost more in the US they just are put on a similar price scale to nvidia whereas the price scale here is independant and thus cheaper. Hardwares hardware, at the moment ATI have released consistently the best cards on the market since the R400s and if you want the best in the US you have to pay the price.

Im glad we dont, kinda sucks to be you guys.

Edited by warriorscot, 26 January 2006 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah I dunno just spending that much for a Video Card seems crazy to me at least at this point I am gonna check out the 7800 and see how it goes and then once it starts to become outdated throw in another, or perhaps if the x1800 comes down in price soomtime I might look that way. Thanks :tazz: Hey wait Scot how much is it there maybe I could order to you and then ship it here lol

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, but they have pounds so you will be paying a premium as the USD is really low compared to pounds (2.5 punds to 1 $ i think). Also, shipping would be a [bleep] if at all.

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah it was a joke but the better joke is that it might just be less lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not with the exchange rate it isnt, british pound is very strong against the dollar, about $1.75 to the pound on average, not really worth it as it voids warranties and is technically illegal as our cards are cheaper and not meant for the US market.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150118

^better 6800 GS in my opinion...little bit higher speeds

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay so I came to a conclusion how does this look to everyone ??

Antec Performance I P180 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLMAX CX-550B ATX 550W Power Supply 115/230 V

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail

Maxor MaXLine Plus III 7L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s – OEM

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 – OEM

XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail

1290.56 Total with shipping

I was Able to keep it under 1300 which was nice and with time I could get fual Video's and if I need get antoher stick of RAM, I heard of too many compatiability probs with dual processors so I went single and also I talked to someone who really highly recommended ASUS. What ya guys think any other tweaks ? :tazz: :)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
probobly cause ATI are in canada, a commonwealth(former empire) country

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Okay so I came to a conclusion how does this look to everyone ??
Antec Performance I P180 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLMAX CX-550B ATX 550W Power Supply 115/230 V

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail

Maxor MaXLine Plus III 7L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s – OEM

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 – OEM

XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail

1290.56 Total with shipping
I was Able to keep it under 1300 which was nice and with time I could get fual Video's and if I need get antoher stick of RAM, I heard of too many compatiability probs with dual processors so I went single and also I talked to someone who really highly recommended ASUS. What ya guys think any other tweaks ? :tazz: :)

It looks fine.

Is this a custom built from digitalstormonline?

Before you buy that check the prices over at this website...

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

You can cusomise many different pc's and the Gamer Ultra 7500 SE is the best all around to start out on..

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Last thing I need is a set of Hard drives I am not to sure what to get I would think 2 140 GB should be enough. Any Ideas, yeah I was looking at that site earlier but I am having someone put this together for me I currently buying all this off Newegg. Is there anything else I am missing ?? :tazz: Thanks guys~!

Advertisements

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I had just heard that useing 1 drive will slow it down a bit and it makes sense so that why I was going to scratch the 300 GB drive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No using a single drive wont slow it down particularly, having two makes it faster but not enough to warrant spending the money and having two smaller drives that just sucks. Having a second drive "can" be faster but you have to have careful file managment to see it and you only see it if you are reading from one and writing to another which you wont do all to often unless you routinley move around large files from drive to drive.

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Right on I have everything Ordered and I think it shoudl all be Put together by Feb 4th or perhaps this monday I will let you guys know, also I was wondering should I redownload all my songs vid's etc, I can copt them to a CD then put them onto my new comp, also I was wondering what I should set up my computer for virus and malware protection, I know about Ad Aware and Spybot SD but thats really all. I have heard some lack luster thoughts on Mcaffe and Norton, so any idea you guys have on any of the following, programs to keep a bug free system and should I transport my files from my old comp to my new one. Thanks guys, been a lot of help so far :tazz: