Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2003 cannot detect bigger USB External Drives

• Please log in to reply

adamsyarajr

adamsyarajr

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Guys,

Iam a new user of this forum and I would be grateful if you can help me solve this problem.
My firm has just acquired a Dell PowerEdge 6800 and we are configuring it as an offsite backup server.
It is running on Windows 2003 Server. We have a problem that we have been trying to solve over the past three days. The problem is this: The Server does not show the drive letters for bigger ( 40GB or more) External USB hard drives. We have connected a FireLite USB 80GB and a LeCie USB 40GB but their drive letters did not show in My Computer. As soon as you insert, a message comes out saying that "New hardware Found" and after that "Installing New Hardware" and after that "New Hardware is ready for use", but if you open My Computer, there is no any drive letter matching the USB. However smaller USBs (500MB or less) are shown. Please can we get help in this forum ? Thanks so much. Adams.

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
If you have not tried already, try plugging in the FireLite 80GB drive into another computer and see if it pulls up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...are you connecting the drive via usb...then turning the drive on? or is the drive on then you connect?

after connecting the drive can you right click on my computer > manage > device manager do you see any yellow ? or !

under disk manager....do you see the drive?

adamsyarajr

adamsyarajr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have connected the FireLite to another server running Windows 2000 and it worked.
I have also connected to different server running 2003 and it worked

adamsyarajr

adamsyarajr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

If you have not tried already, try plugging in the FireLite 80GB drive into another computer and see if it pulls up.

I first connected with the computer on but it did not work. I have tried connecting before booting the machine and it also did not work. I have also connected before switching the USB but still, it did not work.

adamsyarajr

adamsyarajr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I have connected to two other servers, one running windows 2000 and one windows 2003 and they all worked