Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to replace usb port on notebook

• Please log in to reply

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thinkpad T20
Type 2647-81U
Win2k

Ok, I carelessly took the USB cord out of my notebook with too much force. Now the USB is easily movable (broken) and I cannot make a connection to any of my devices.

Is there an online guide so I can get to the usb port and replace it? I know this isn't recomended but I'm broke and extremely careful so I feel comfy doing this if I have something to guide my travels. I've googled and only come up with keyboard replacement and other easy stuff.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
are you saying the little piece of plastic with the four wires inside the rectangular box has broken off? or that the whole box itself?

either way, if you have all the parts, you could technicaly fix it yourself with a little crazy glue, and a soldering iron. if you laptop is under warranty i would highly suggest you talk to the manufacturer first, you could get it fixed for free or at least really cheap. otherwise, you would just have to crack open the thing yourself, and have at it. but do it with extreme sensitivity, and if you can find one for your model, use a generic repair guide/schematic for you laptop.

i dont think you will find much info out there specifically on this problem. i myself come across all the problems that have never happened before so i know what its like.

about the fixing: besides the metal box, there is only the four connectors on the plasic tab. now you could just technially glue the plastic tab back on, and solder the four connections. but it would be hard to do, seeing the dimesions of your work area inside the usb port.

so to sum things up:
1 further survey the problem (magnifying lens needed)
2 contact your manufacturer
3 look for an online guide/schematic for the parts inside your laptop.

good luck!