Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor startup / CMOS / new HW found: RAID controller

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's where it's trying to detect a non existant SATA/SCSI drive......for now....let's try the option within windows....and if you can could you get me your motherboard make and model? i'll try to find a manual

Advertisements

probleempje

probleempje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
oops, hope you're not too mad at my uselesness at this end....

i've let windows try to install from CD and it found five Promise MBUltra 133 (PDC20276) ™ IDE Controller and suggests to install the WinXP version of those five (but warns that this driver is not digitally signed)
Do I proceed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes...let it install the drivers for it...that way that message wont come up

probleempje

probleempje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK - it installed that without a problem.
Startup still mentioning:
Detecting /
MRUltra133 (PDC20276) BIOS is not installed because no drives attached
but got rid off the Found New Hardware etc. problem

motherboard info (according to the box...):
Gigabyte Socket A
K7 Triton 400 series
AGP8x/FSB333

on the purchase receipt is says:
gigabyte ga 7vaxp

and the photo of the motherboard in the installation guide that came with it shows that this version has a ATA133/RAID chip (rather than the SATA RAID chip of the "ultra" version of this motherboard

do you need any other info (I can attach digi pix) or shall we leave it at this?

thanks a LOT sofar!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does your little hardware found thing stop comming up within windows?

if so we may be able to just leave it where it's at without digging too much deeper

probleempje

probleempje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yep - that found hardware (etc.) thing has stopped
found the mainboard utility CD (that came with it), but guess you'd prefer to leave it at this?
thanks again !
(it's not easy for a Dutchman in rural France to keep your his PC running...)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hahah it's not easy for a dutchman in rural france to do anything...heheh...i bet you have alot of short conversations (though...i would assume you know french...so it can't be that bad)...

as long as we got your message window to stop...then we should be ok...if any of this stuff start's causing issues with how the machine runs...then we can try some other stuff

probleempje

probleempje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi dsenette,
hope you're still around for this one:
in order to get rid off the remaining (unharmful) message ("Detecting /
MRUltra133 (PDC20276) BIOS is not installed because no drives attached") it was suggested to me (by the vendor in the UK) to go into BIOS settings -> "Integrated Peripherals" and ther disable the RAID/SATA Controller.
But when I got back to them to say I only found an 5enabled) RAID/ATA (not RAID/SATA) and asked if I'd still go ahead disabling it I never got an answer.
What would you suggest?
Thanks again!

PS: my French is OK, so converstations are often long - in fact too long as the French like philosophizing (?)about anything (even about PC problems) without necessarily solving the problem...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as long as you are not using the RAID controller, you can shut it off

The difference between RAID/ATA and RAID/SATA is what kind of drive is attached to the controller.

SATA drivers are newer, faster, simpler drives, but they've only been around for about 2 years and were not plentiful until about a year ago...so, your motherbaord likely did not support these. So, yes, I would set it to disabled