Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy wireless question

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I must admit I am am a "wireless" newbie. I have a simple question. When I am on the road I stay at a Holiday Inn that provides a wireless bridge to be plugged into the USB port of my laptop. I have tried on several dates and never can establish a network connection when using their bridge, I have switched bridges, moved locations etc. Allegedlly other patrons are able to connect no problem. When I am in the office I can attach my laptop to the Internet (using cable) no problem so I am able to obtain network connections.

My question, is there more that needs to be done other then plugging int their router? Are there Windows settings, network cards, anything that needs to be done on the laptop or should all of this just work like magic once I attach to their routers. Since I have never used wireless I have no idea, originally I thought I needed a special network card but people are telling me no.

Experts?

Thanks

David

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does your laptop have built in wireless? if so you shouldn't have to physically plug into anything...i would assume that this wireless bridge is only for those who do not have a wireless card already (in which case...why not just provide ethernet connectivity in the room....sounds logical)...to install a uzb wireless device...you would need to install drivers and what not to get the thing to work...soo...i guess.what's the answer to my first question?

dfb500

dfb500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi, thanks for your quick response. No, my laptop does not have any wireless devices, therefore the need for the wireless bridge supplied by the hotel. So, are we saying that other than the bridge everything should work without any need for me to do anything in Windows etc? Like I said earlier everything works when I connect to a network that is wired here at the office.

Let me know and thanks.

David

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...once you connect to the bridge...it should say that it is installing a device..then you should see that device in your network connections...then you should be able to get it to detect networks