Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Copying Winxp Prof Cd

• Please log in to reply

toffeymen

toffeymen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi all, hope someone can help me , i am trying to make a copy of my windows xp prof eddition cd, but no matter which way i try it just keeps saying ........................data error ( cyclic redundancy check) can anyone help here as i am totally lost, thanks in advance, can i not just use nero and choose copy cd ? cause that doesnt seem to work either.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Could very well be copywrite protected thus not allowing you to burn a copy of the cd..

Just make sure you register it with Microsoft and, should something happen to the original cd, Microsoft will replace it!!

Murray

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Personaly i have found that error when the CD/DVD is scratched. Cheak and find out also try it on other computers to make sure. The is some really good data recover software for CD/DVD's that you could try too.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Microsoft does not copy protect its CDs so I would concur it is likely scratched, which means you can get a replacement from MS if you registered.

You can try cleaning the cd with soapy warm water, as well.

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks to all of ya, will try what you advised, once again thanks :tazz:

nitwit2

nitwit2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dont b insulted. but have you got a cd large enough to copy onto?
Yes nero will do.
You will need a cd-90,to fit on all info.
get cd-90 at macro wholesale.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not true...I copy MS CDs all the time. When I get a new PC or Windows CD, I make a copy of the cd and lock the original away in the file cabinet so it does not get scratched.

Typical 700mb cd is more than enough