Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screens on newly purchased computer

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi guys, I've been having this Stop error blue screen 3 or 4 times now for the past two days on my new computer. I unticked "Automatically Restart" option under System Properties-Startup and Recovery-Settings, I guess otherwise I would've been having "black-outs-reboots"?

Anyway, I think for the past couple of times it happened after I manually rebooted the computer/during the process of boot time defrag.

I took a picture of the blue screen and typed down the words, could you guys have a look plz?

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver

updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove

or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7A34547, 0xF7C82B40, 0xF7C8283C)

*** STV680.sys - Address F7A34547 base at F7A2F000, DateStamp 3d071fa5

I've tried searching for "STV680.sys" but found not much, guess this is all a learning curve. It's just that when this happens more than one time on a new computer it's kinda scary...

Thanx guys :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have a scanner?

Download the newest drivers from the manufacturer and install them

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks, I've just done another search and I've found "stv680.sys" under "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers". (Captured Property window attached).

It appears to be part of a camera driver. Well, I've gone through two new webcams in the past few days. My old Microtek Take-it 350 wasn't working as it was on the old computer so I bought two new ones (now both returned) cos it turned out that the webcams are just not working as they should on the new computer (still need to figure that one out!)

Anyways, Microtek Take-it 350 is now 6 years old and on Microtek's official website there's a XP driver for it so I downloaded and installed it. It might be a coincidence but the version of the driver (image attached) 2.01 is the same as STV680.sys which says in the Property window 2.1.0.5 (as attached).

I removed the Microtek driver from Add/Remove, but STV680.sys is still in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder.

Help ...
Cheers

stv680.gif
microtek_driver.gif

Edited by chinofeliz, 23 January 2006 - 05:29 PM.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey try the guide to blue screens of death. Guide

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi gerryf, I've just bought the scanner this week, it's a new model too. Just checked, the driver is up to date.

Cheers Haz for the link it's really useful, no 0x0000007E listed though...

Thanx :tazz:

PS - just a thought... if STV680.sys is causing the problem (well, it is identified in the stop error message); is it safe to just remove it from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers?

Edited by chinofeliz, 23 January 2006 - 05:40 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reboot into safe mode, then rename the file to stv680.bak, then reboot normally.

report any errors

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Gerry,
I went to Start-Turn Off Computer-Restart and the computer logged me off then entered the blue screen, it came on, I forgot to press F8, manually restarted the computer and it entered the blue screen again with that STV680.sys message.
Entered Safe Mode, changed the name STV680.sys to STV680.bak as instructed, also noticed a file beside it with very similar name "STV680m.sys" (image as attached).
Rebooted the computer after renaming, booted successfully without blue screen.
Will boot again now normally to see how it goes.
Also plz advise me on what to do with STV680.bak and STV680m.sys.
Cheers
stv680m.gif

Update - now I can reboot my computer with no hassle of the blue screen. BUT, by disabling/renaming the STV680.sys camera driver it did also affect my webcam (image captured under "Device Manager" attached).
hardware.gif
Problem is, even the so called "XP Compatible" driver for the camera is not working that well (probably a replica of this driver found by XP anyway)...
As I said I've bought two new webcams and they didn't work out either, just makes me wonder is there sort of a jinx on this new computer for webcam or what?

Thanx

Edited by chinofeliz, 23 January 2006 - 09:11 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Okay... more info:

As long as there's an installed hardware (namely my webcam here) associated with the STV680.sys, there'll be blue screen after I chose to manually reboot the computer.

I uninstalled the webcam from Add/Remove and the Device Manager. Deleted STV680.sys from 'drivers' under system32. Rebooted the computer, plugged the camera in, XP recognized it.

Then XP tried to look for a driver for it, but there was a pop up window coming up asking for STV680.sys in the folder of "STMicroelectronics" under "Program Files". After numerous tests, I've noticed that installing the "XP compatible" driver from microtek.com for my webcam actually creates a folder called STMicroelectronics under my Program Files.

So the question is (I'm not sure):
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL A RETAILER NEXT TIME WHEN I BUY A NEW WEBCAM THAT I WANT SOMETHING THAT'S NOT SUPPORTED BY "STV680.SYS"?

Or is there a way I can find that out myself?

Thanx

Edited by chinofeliz, 23 January 2006 - 09:47 PM.