Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Part List for Computer Build; Need Expert Advice!

• Please log in to reply

Leon05

Leon05

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been looking into building my own computer for about 2 months, and I'm nearing the point at which I'm going to order all of the parts. However, my expertise is still lacking regarding hardware, especially hardware compatability. I would very much appreciate if those knowledgeable about building computers would look over the parts listed and confirm whether or not the build would work well. At times I'm tempted to splurge and order something like the ABS ULTIMATE M6 40, but I think that this build approaches that quality while saving about 600 bucks. I also have a few questions:
Should I buy 2x of one of the listed CD/DVD drives rather than both? Which one?
Am I missing any vital components?
Also, If anyone can make recommendations, please do so.

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface

Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 watts 5.1

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR78256GTCOD2 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16

Monitor: NEC Display Solutions AS900-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor 0.25mm Dot Pitch D-Sub

Power Source: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL

Case: XION Black XION II XON-103 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink

CD/DVD Drives/Burners: PLEXTOR Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner
AND/OR
NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

Thanks for any and all help!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Everything will fit and work together. Try and find another case because that one already has a powersupply with it. The seagate harddrives are okay, you could look for another brand. Asus is a so-so company in my book but that motherboard looks high quality.

Edited by jrm20, 23 January 2006 - 05:55 PM.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the advice, how's this case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case? Not showy, but looks quality.

Also, what did you mean by look for another 'brank'? Were you talking about looking for a different HD?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for the advice, how's this case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case? Not showy, but looks quality.

Also, what did you mean by look for another 'brank'? Were you talking about looking for a different HD?

*BRAND* :tazz:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I like Asus. :tazz: Its a good brand. :-)

Also I like seagate, all those I have in my current system. :-P

(Its really a personal preference, right jrm20?) :)

Also, for 50 bucks less, you can get this card... Its a bit more powerful... http://www.tigerdire...1517507&CatId=0

It doesn't advertise that Call of Duty 2 is bundled with it, but it is.

Edited by Comrade General, 23 January 2006 - 06:01 PM.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here's another question: Should I try the Windows XP Pro x64 edition, as I'm getting a 64-bit processor? From what I've heard, there is a lack of driver support, but I'm thinking that since I'm getting upper-tier hardware that it might not be a problem. I've also heard that Microsoft abandoned the x64 project, which doesn't sound promising... any suggestions? I'm fine with XP Pro, but I'd try x64 if it's reliable and worth the extra effort.

Also, I think I'd like to get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ instead of the 3800+... I can manage the price difference. Would that change anything, like power requirement? I'm guessing not.

Edited by Leon05, 23 January 2006 - 08:12 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Get this western digital harddrive instead.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144179

$105 the time I posted.

The seek time on the seagates are slower.

Go for the western digital, lifetime warranty of course. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not much power difference, i woldnt bother with x64 the only people that really use it are people curious or the occasional gamer wanting to try his games in 64 bit mode.

Coolermaster are one of the best names in the case business, you cant go far wrong with a coolermaster usually, if you can afford one though they arent known for being cheap they can give lian li a run for there money on some cases.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
This question is aimed mostly at jrm20:

I've decied to get an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ rather than 3800+,
the western digital HD rather than the seagate,
the Gfx card off of tigerdirect rather than newegg,
windows xp pro, the coolmaster case, and a sony dvd drive & nec dvd-rw drive...

I think I'll go with the DFI LanParty UT nF4-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard instead of the ASUS motherboard. Main difference seems to be no-SLI support for DFI (am only getting one gfx card anyways) and that there is no S ATA II support with DFI... but I don't know what S ATA is... (related to HD format?)

With all of that in mind, is this build good to go? I want to make absolutely sure, as I'm ready to order it otherwise.

Edited by Leon05, 24 January 2006 - 07:27 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

This question is aimed mostly at jrm20:

I've decied to get an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ rather than 3800+,
the western digital HD rather than the seagate,
the Gfx card off of tigerdirect rather than newegg,
windows xp pro, the coolmaster case, and a sony dvd drive & nec dvd-rw drive...

I think I'll go with the DFI LanParty UT nF4-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard instead of the ASUS motherboard. Main difference seems to be no-SLI support for DFI (am only getting one gfx card anyways) and that there is no S ATA II support with DFI... but I don't know what S ATA is... (related to HD format?)

With all of that in mind, is this build good to go? I want to make absolutely sure, as I'm ready to order it otherwise.

Actually those 2 bfg 7800gt's are the same exact speed, its just cheaper on tiger for that paticular card.
Get everything from the same site its alot easier.

Get either of these

eVGA Geforce 7800GT: has 445mhz core clock, 1070mhz memory clock faster than the bfg and you save money but it doesnt have any games included.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130247

or

XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT: has 450mhz core clock, 1050mhz memory clock still faster than the bfg and cheaper.

** the bfg 7800gt runs at 425MHz /1050MHz** and is more.

Go for one of the two links I listed above from newegg. Either is fine. :tazz:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150108

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They make more expensive dfi sli or non sli boards. Its up to you on the decision. On that motherboard you posted there is a way to unlock the sli mode you just have to look around on the net.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok... I'll choose one of those. Here's a new question: The XFX can come combo with a 4400+ for 30 bucks off. Should I give in and get that instead of the 4200+ (I guess the price would even out given that the XFX is cheaper than the BFG)?

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

They make more expensive dfi sli or non sli boards. Its up to you on the decision. On that motherboard you posted there is a way to unlock the sli mode you just have to look around on the net.

Is there any advantage whatsoever to SLI if you don't use 2x GPUs? I'm only planning on ever having one.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Is there any advantage whatsoever to SLI if you don't use 2x GPUs? I'm only planning on ever having one.

SLI is if you want 2 video cards now or later on you can get another to put in. Its fine if you will only have one video card ever in your sli board, but its always good to have the expandability and later on you will probably regret not getting a sli motherboard. Some manufacturers the sli is a couple dollars more. Up to you.

Leon05

Leon05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard checks out, I'll probably go with that.

Any advice on 4400+ vs 4200+ since I can get 30 bucks off the 4400+ if I go with the XFX GPU jrm20 linked?