Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help for my hp wireless network

• Please log in to reply

mgagl

mgagl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got this lap top HP Pavilion zd7001us which did not come with a wireless mini pci card. So I bought one but it will not go. I installed the hardware but whin I boot I get a hardware error and it the machine halts (xp doesn't even start) This is the second pci mini card I bought. I thought the first was not compatable so I got Broadcom which they said was compatable with HP. Does any one if there is a jumper that needs to be set before I can plug in the card? I just don't get it.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Can you boot into Windows without the wireless card plugged into the machine? Then plug it in when Windows is done loading?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

mgagl

mgagl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
laptop shuts off as soon as i plug it in

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hmm, strange, try this:

Go to control panel, system, click the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button. Scroll down the list until you see "Network Adapters". Click the + next to expand it. Now you should see the wireless card, right click it and click uninstall. Now when it is finished reboot the computer. Once rebooted run the install cd for the wireless card once again and install the drivers and software. When it is done reboot the computer and plug the wireless card back in once windows loads and stablizes. Now run through the windows New hardware wizard and hopefully you should be good to go. Also maybe after you uninstall it you should go to http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com and install all available updates then reboot and try the reinstallation. Let me know. Good luck!

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: