Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Restoration

• Please log in to reply

chozen

chozen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[/B]My apologies for any ignorance you will detect here. I am a Mom with no clue about computers. However I tried to do something I should have had a skilled and knowledgable computer person do. I will try to make this as short as possible. :tazz: I just received my new Dell computer and thought I could fix up the old Gateway. I start by trying to install the new Windows XP operating system form the Dell, that does not work so I go to Windows 2000 that I had but never had the courage to install. Well I get some error codes there and could not do that. I don't recall the specifics so I decide to just use the original restoration CD. I get to the point where it asks for the Operating System back up CD and it does not seem to recognise it. It tells me to clean the CD and I did but still it does not read it. The CD appears to be just fine. Have I done something wrong while trying the other operating systems? The Restoration CD seemed to start right up. I am ignorant and confused! Does anyone have a tip? I would much appreciate your expert advice! ;) Thank You in advance.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you can't use dell windows software in other computers
even though it is windows.
Since it's an old one do you have any files that you need or can we blast them all? Step 1