Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pdf files stop downloading prematurely

• Please log in to reply

joesson

joesson

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Pdf files stop downloading prematurely. Other downloading OK even if hours long. Happens using both IE 6 and Firefox 1.5. Firefox browser and Adobe reinstallation, restore function to date when function worked, made no difference. Internet connection and browser stay connected when download fails, usually within 2-4 minutes. Ran Microsoft beta, Spybot and McAfee anti-virus finding nothing. Using Netscape dial-up connection but worked well until a week ago. Nothing new installed since problem started. No error messages :tazz:

Dell 8200 XP P4 2.4
512 Ram
Adobe reader 7.0.5

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you,
Joan

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to internet and browsers since this has nothing to do with comments or suggestions about the site.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geeks to go,
trying to think what may be causing this....do you have the most recent update of Adobe Acrobat?
thanx
James

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
James,

Thank you for responding, I am using Adobe reader 7.0.5 and have tried both the readers repair function and downloading a new copy, cleaning the cache and restarting the computer each time. Downloading a pdf file of about 1 MB or smaller works fine, with the connection to the server dropping, usually (but not always) at 1002 KB. I had been downing files of 8 MB before without a problem.

Thanks again,
joan

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
just out of curiosity, how much free space do you have left on your comp?
thanx
James

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The C drive shows 63.7 GB of free space.

Thank you again for the reply.
joan :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i'm pretty well getting stuck here, ummm by any chance does this only happen on one site or does it happen to them all?
thanx
James

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
James,

Thank you again for your response. All the other pdf downloads from other sites I have tried have been smaller than 1 MB and I have had no problems. I had been downloading pdf issues of SmartComputing magazine for the last few months; the 8 MB file size and never had a problem. I wasn’t able to find any pfd files from SmartComputing smaller than about 8 MB to try. When the download process started to disconnect leaving the Internet connection intact, I e-mailed the SmartComputing technical staff and ask them if they had any other reports. They hadn’t and offered the advice of updating Adobe reader etc, everything they suggested had been done before e-mailing them, but I tried two more times just to be sure. I also googled the symptoms and got a couple of like reports but the suggestions were always to update the reader, I have used reader 7.0.5 from the beginning. I will try to find a larger pdf file to download from another site. Do you know if there is a timing circuit in the registry that might be involved? :tazz:

Thank you again,
joan

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
james,

This is one of the articles I followed trying to troubleshoot the pfd problem. Thank you for all your time and trouble: :tazz:

joan

FROM: OSHA Website Support Team Enhanced Support Document
HELP for users of the Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) Reader and Plug-In Components

Re: Downloading, Printing and Viewing anomalies with PDF Documents.

NOTE: Adobe Acrobat®, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, are third party products, and the OSHA Website Support Team does not provide direct user support for installation, configuration or usage of any third party product. If you need general assistance with these products, you must contact the specific manufacturer, or your local software support team.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: IF, when clicking on a PDF link, your web browser tries to open the file -- in the browser window -- you have your browser configured to use the Adobe Acrobat® "Plug-In" Reader. This configuration can be changed in a number of ways -- please refer to your local software support team or the manufacturer of the applicable products for assistance in this regard.

There are some very well known problems (with both the Microsoft and Netscape browsers) that can occur on your local PC, when using this "Browser/Plug-In" approach to viewing PDF documents, not the least of which, is a general failure to load the document, with an error message that reports a possible corruption in the PDF document itself. 99% of the time however, the corruption reported, is not related to the file you've received from the server, but rather, a corruption that has occurred on your local system.

This type of problem is most likely to occur when attempting to load a PDF document which is larger than .5 MB, OR when attempting to load a newer PDF document with an older Acrobat® viewer -- i.e. when attempting to load a PDF created with the version 3.x tools, with a version 2.x Reader.
NOTE: It is extremely rare for the source PDF document (the file from the server) to be corrupt. Once the originals are created and tested (and placed on the server), the only corruptions which are likely to occur, would be due to physical hardware problems (bad sectors, etc.) on the storage system itself. THE SERVER simply sends files requested by the user - it does NOT contol how the document is saved, stored, viewed or otherwise manipulated on the local PC.

Most PDF file corruptions occur ON THE USER's LOCAL PC, as a result of a failure in the Browser/Plug-In Applet.

SOLUTIONS:
1. Try saving the document directly to your disk (bypassing the browser plug-in). To do this, you will need to use the "Right-Click" method to save the file. E.g., Click ONCE on the PDF link using your "RIGHT" mouse button. This will cause a menu to be displayed, from which you will select the proper save option -- depending upon which browser you are using:

For Microsoft IE users, select "Save Target As"
For Netscape Navigator users, select "Save Link As"

Once you've selected the proper save option for your browser, and have saved the file to a location you specified, go to your program menu and start the Adobe Acrobat® Reader. Once open, locate the PDF file you saved and open it directly in Acrobat®.

If you then see the document, the problems you experienced with the browser are related to the Plug-In or to some combination of problems related to the browser/plug-in configuration -- or perhaps even to a general resource problem on your system -- such as low Memory or Swap Space.

If you are still unable to load the document directly in Acrobat®, the problem is most likely related to a corruption in the Acrobat® Reader Application itself, or due to the fact that you are running an older version of the Reader, against a newer PDF file version.
2. If you are using a version of the Acrobat® Reader which is 1 or more versions older than the current release version, you should immediately uninstall your current Reader, download the most up-to-date version from Adobe Acrobat® Software, and install that latest version. Please remember to remove the old version from your system completely and reboot your system before upgrading. Please refer to the Adobe Website for more information: http://www.adobe.com...t/readstep.html
3. If you have tried steps 1 & 2 above, and you are still having problems -- cannot open the file, you may have a corruption in your Windows "File Type/Associations" or with other system related support components -- that may still be "browser related". In this case, you would be advised to uninstall your browser and reinstall a fresh (most up-to-date) version of your preferred browser software. Please refer directly to the applicable manufacturers website or technical support group for assistance in this regard.
4. If you have tried all three steps above, and your browser or Acrobat® Reader are still reporting possible corruptions in the PDF document, you should report this problem to our website support team, using the error report form - See: http://www.osha.gov/...rrorreport.html. PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMPLETE THE ERROR REPORT FORM IN DETAIL -- giving your OS, BROWSER AND Acrobat® Reader Versions, etc., along with the FULL URL of the PDF file reference.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
• Keep your browser and other accessory software utilities (AND your Operating System) as up-to-date as possible. Technology, especially as it relates to the Internet, changes very rapidly, and software that is more than 1 version old, should be upgraded, or at least "patched" with any applicable service release software the manufacturer may provide, to fix specific "bugs" that may plague the product. Keeping these products up-to-date requires diligence and regular routine maintenance, but in most cases, will insure that your browsing experience is as error-free as possible.
As of January 1, 1999, if you are still using a 3.x or earlier version of either the Microsoft IE or Netscape Navigator browsers, or a 2.x or earlier version of the Adobe Acrobat® Reader, you should strongly consider upgrading these programs. As of 1/1/99, the Microsoft Internet Explorer, the Netscape Navigator, and the Adobe Acrobat® Reader are all available free of charge from their respective manufacturer's websites.

• Many of the PDF documents on the OSHA website are quite large -- greater than 1MB in size. In most cases, we try to list the size of the document in KB (KiloBytes) or MB (MegaBytes) [1000 KB - 1 MB], but this is not always possible. When downloading, you may not see the document on your view screen (or there may appear to be NO activity -- or the screen may appear blank) until the ENTIRE DOWNLOAD COMPLETES. Seeing a blank screen in the browser window during the download, does NOT mean that there is a problem.
NOTE FOR LARGE PDF DOCUMENTS: If you connect to the Internet via modem, you may want to consider saving larger PDFs (anything larger than 1 MB) directly to your local PC, rather than using your browser to view them online (see Step #1 above under SOLUTIONS). When viewing PDF's via your browser, the browser must download a fresh copy of the file from the server, every time you want to view it. If the file is 4 MB in size, this means you may have to wait perhaps 20-25 minutes every time you want to view it. If the document is one that you will refer to often, having a local copy on your PC, and using the Acrobat® Reader directly for viewing, will save a great deal of time down the road. Please remember to check back with the OSHA website routinely however, to check for possible updates.

• A standard rule of thumb, is that you will need at least 5-6 minutes of download time, for every 1 MB of material downloaded, when connected on a standard 28.8 - 33.6 kbps modem connection (this timeframe can vary significantly depending upon the number of users connected to the server, noise on your phone line, general traffic on your network or on the Internet in general).

Many users grow impatient when waiting for a large document download, and will actually cause corruptions or interruptions in the data transfer process (many times without knowing it), by attempting to stop, print, go "back" or navigate through the document, before the download completes. To avoid these potential problems, please monitor the browser or other download progress screens carefully, and do not attempt to navigate, manipulate, print or otherwise interact with the PDF documents directly, until the download is COMPLETE.

Please be patient. While it may take 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or even longer to download some files from the OSHA website, once you have (saved) a local copy, you can view it at any time. Some of OSHA's publications can be requested in printed form, but you can expect to wait at least 10 days for such an order to be processed and shipped, so it is generally much more efficient to wait for the download, than to request a printed copy.
• As with viewing PDF documents via the browser, printing these documents from the browser can also be a process frought with problems. Ideally, whatever is displayed in your browser window, should be able to be sent to your printer, but this is NOT always the case. Even if you have no problems viewing a PDF document via the browser, if you experience printing problems, you should refer to step #1 above in the SOLUTIONS section, save the file directly, and try using the Acrobat® program directly, to view and print the document. There are known problems in MSIE, Navigator and Acrobat®, which may effect printing ability in any given PC configuration.

If you are unable to print a given PDF document, the problems are generally related to your specific printer hardware/operating system print drivers. The PDF document margins may exceed the "printable area" of your printer's layout area, or the document may include graphical details which your printer is unable to adequately render or handle -- whether due to a lack of physical memory or to a complete inability to reproduce certain features. Such problems are generally not overcome by downloading new copies of the document from the OSHA website, and such problems should NOT be reported to the OSHA Website Support Team, as there is little that can be done to address individual hardware /local PC feature support

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
as far as i know there isn't a timing circuit in the registry, i myself have never had a problem with longer downloads. Like you i'm going to continue looking around and c what i can find. Hopfully one of us will find the awnser....SOON. You have done everything that i would suggest as well as others, however there must be something that we are missing. By any chance have you had previous problems with malware, if so your internet explorer may have been effect by this. Also, i looked around and found that a virus did cause similar problems are you are saying here. Do you think that you might have something? Also, iilooked at your first post and you mentioned spyware/adware removers, do you have any anti-virus programs on your computer at the moment? If you don't may i suggest you install AVG and if something pops up go to the malware forum and they might be able to clear something up.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 January 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Advertisements

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
James,

Thanks again for your time and effort. I use McAfee anti-virus and firewall with the XP firewall turned off. For malware, I use Spybot and Microsoft antispyware beta, all of which are kept updated and run regularly. I am not familiar with AVG but will find and install. If anything turns up or I run into anything down the road, I will let you know.

Thank you again,
Joan :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
WARNING!!!! if you already have a anti-virus program do not install another one as there will be confilts between the two, never realized you had McAfee anti-virus. Also please re-enable your firewall!
thanx
James :tazz:

EDIT: have you tried downloading anything from another site that was this large?

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2006 - 10:47 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i was looking on a site (http://www.erzwiss.u...ey/UsingPDF.htm) and it says the following:

You can download pdf files to your desktop and open them in Acrobat Reader. Alternatively, you may prefer to read them onscreen from within your browser (Navigator, Explorer, Cyberdog, etc.). Reading onscreen from within your browser is convenient and lets you decide whether or not it's worth the effort to go any further. Unfortunately, it can be very RAM-intensive, since Reader and your browser have to be running simultaneously. If it turns out you don't have enough RAM, configure your browser to download pdf files and quit from it before launching Acrobat Reader. (Alternatively, buy more RAM; it's amazingly cheap nowadays and will give your whole system a boost.)

any chance that you have less then 256mb of ram?

joesson

joesson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
James,

Thank you for helping. This computer has 512 MB of Ram which I monitor with the task manager. Last try readings were: peak current charge (242740) V total physical memory (523276). Commit charge 226M/1246M. I like your suggestion of running a different anti-virus (after taking out the existing one which I would have surely overlooked). This problem seems to effect only large >1 MB pfd files (non-pdf files don’t seem to be affected) and changing the option in Adobe reader (several tries) to open in the reader instead of the browser have made no difference. I still have not been able to find pfd files from other locations larger than 2 or 3 Mb to try. Thought I might find some from government sites but no luck so far. I will continue to look as well as search the Internet for similar problems. Will let you know if I find anything. I'm going back past the time the trouble started for anything I may have overlooked. :tazz:

joan

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i mentioned in my last post that you shouldn't remove McAfee anti-virus as you had never mentioned an anti-virus program so i had asked if you did or not. You can try using another one if you like but i suggest you remove AVG and stick with McAfee anti-virus. I'll keep looking around because 512mb should be more then enough, and you have lots of free space so i don't know what this could be, i'll continue looking though.
thanx
James