Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spyware

• Please log in to reply

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi i downloaded ad-aware se,do i need to download anti spyware as well or is it the same thing?also i never used to have this but everytime i start my computer up i get a display from windows xp media centre edition asking my username and password,same when i shut down how do i get rid of this? thank you

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whether to download other programs is up to you, really. I can tell you that I will install MS Antispy on every PC I work on, just for its realtime protection

You will get log ons if you have a multi-user system, but I do not understand the logon message you say you are getting at shutdown...that is not normal.

Can you explain further

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
For example when i go to shutdown pc a window pops up saying microsoft windows xp media centre what do you want to do-shutdown,log off,restart etc??? also i just tryed to download ms antispy like you said but it asks me to verify then says verification denied i don't know if that has anything to do with the fact i had my pc built up for me? what should i do please help thank u ps sorry i'm chucking more than 1 problem at you

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not a log on message...it is the windows shut down options and is completely normal

The latter message (verification denied), however, is not normal. There is a good chance that someone sold you a pirated copy of windows.

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
but i never had that message before it just automaticly switched off if i asked it to? the problem with it being like that is when i switch my pc on i have to wait for the log on message and click ok is there any way of changing it so it logs on automatically? and what does it mean if i got a pirated copy of windows have i been ripped off? thanx for helping me

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you create a second user account?

You can setup your pc to auto logon using Tweakui, a powertoy from Microsoft, but I don't know how you were ever loggging off without that dialogue, as that logoff with the option to shutdown or restart is there by default...

You can write a quick script to logoff without going through the dialogue, but you were not doing that....

Unless Media Edition is somehow different.

In control panel users, are there are other users besides you

And yes, perhaps you were ripped off if that is pirated. Some large PC Makers had certain keys that were blacklisted due to stolen keys, and there was an alternate way to obtain MS downloads.

Who built your PC? Perhaps you should call them and tell them that you were given that error. Tell them you want a legal version of Windows.

Microsoft was offering free copies of windows to innocent people who had been ripped off if they reported the pirates, but I do not know if they still do that,

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi i fixed my problem with your advice thank u.