Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have the ANSWER!

• Please log in to reply

Kyle8515

Kyle8515

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay...as a refresher I have had a multiplayer issue with COD2 due to the cd key code never being validated. You should get an error message saying "incorrect key code" even though you've entered the [bleep] code 358324780136 times into the multiplayer options. But have no fear I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! :)

Answer:

The reason why you're cd key is incorrect is because it has not been entered into the registry. For some reason everytime I installed COD the registry was never updated. If you look under your Activision folder (go to HKey_Local_Machine>>>Software>>>Activision) you'll notice there should be no COD 2 folder at all. The first thing you have to do is give yourself permission to edit this folder. Do this by right clicking the Activision folder then click on "Permissions" in the menu tab. Check to allow both "full control" and "read." Okay, first step done! Now you must create the COD2 folder. Right click the Activision folder and Go to New...and then select Key. Name the folder that is created "Call of Duty 2" In there should be a default key, once you create the folder. Now if you right-click in the larger box you should get a "New..." menu. Click on "string value." Now here are the strings you need to make:

1) name of string value: type: codkey...now right-click "key" and click modify. Now enter your key code in the value data. Enter it w/o any spaces, dashes or periods...just straight type it.

2) name of string value: "InstallPath" then right-click n modify it. In the value data type C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2 (or wherever you installed it!)

3) name of string value: "InstallDrive"......value data: D:\

4) name of string value: Language....value data: 1

5) name of string value: StartMenuFolder....value data: Call of Duty 2

6) name of string value: Version....value data: 1.0

And that right there should do it :tazz: I hope I help some of the ppl that were having trouble like I was. Post back if you want to thank me or if you still are getting the problem. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Good, well written instructions. i have had to do that for cod and coduo but not for cod2.

thanks,
Starjax.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if this is a common issue maybe someone should try submitting it as a guide/tutorial?

/me nudges starjax