Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desinstalling and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

dp2

dp2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,
(sorry for my english)

I have just purchased a genuine version of windows XP because I have noticed that the version installed on my computer was a non-genuine one and it caused a lot of trouble..

I have tried to install the new version but what happened is that now I have TWO windows XP on my computer! The new one is now installed on the D: partition....

What I would like to do is to completely format the two partitions (C: and D:) and install only the genuine version on the C:
I want to do a big cleanup on my computer so I don't want any of the old files..

But I don't know where to start and what is the good way to do this!

Thanks a million time for your help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dp2...

If this is a Retail Installation CD, put the disk in the drive and reboot. At the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" press a key.

The next screen will prompt you "To set up Windows now, Press Enter"...Press "Enter"..Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement...The next screen asks you if you if you want to repair the current installation...Press "Esc"

All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press "D" to delete an existing partition, or press "C" to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press "D" to delete an existing partition, you must then press "L" (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press "C" to create the new partition.

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press "ENTER", or just press "ENTER" to create the partition with the maximum size.

If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press "ENTER".

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition...Use the Full Format, not the quick option. The NTFS file system is a little better with XP...then press "ENTER".

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

Hope this helps.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 January 2006 - 09:53 PM.

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi!

Thanks a lot for your help! I did everything you told me and now my computer is running very smoothly!

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me..

Have a nice day