Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSconfig for Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

G Dogg

G Dogg

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yesterday, while I was browsing this forum, my CPU usage hit 100% and my computer, as well as internet use, was running incredibly slow. I looked in the task manager and noticed that a process titled SYSTEMS.exe was using roughly 87-95% depending on the second. It fluctuated there for the rest of the night.

I'll readily admit that I have limited to no computer knowledge other than some basics. I noticed there was a link at the top of the page here, Process List. I clicked it and saw that services.exe could be a trojan. It stated that the true, non-threatening services.exe should not be found in msconfig. I had no idea what msconfig was, so I googled it. As I'm sure everyone here knows, there is no msconfig included in Windows 2000.

So, in order to figure out if there is a problem here, I was going to download a copy of XP's msconfig.

I figured I ought to ask those here first, though. Should I download a copy of Msconfig, and if so, would someone please tell me where I might be able to download it from a trusted site?

I should also mention that computer is running fine right now, but I am fearful that it may come back. SYSTEMS.exe is still listed in my task manager, but it simply hasn't decided to take over my computer just yet.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
every reference i can find to SYSTEMS.exe refers to malware infections

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've done all of those things, other than the hijackthis log. It hasn't gone crazy yet today, so I'm not technically "still having difficulty." However, it's still there in the task manager, lurking and staring at me.

Should I go ahead and do the hijackthis log anyway?

Thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes post the log in the badware forum

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Done.

And, by the way, I am on a freaking roll right now - it's SERVICES.exe, not SYSTEMS.exe.

I'll get better at this. I promise.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe well that's a little different...that file (depending on it's location) can also be malware related...so let's let the malware guys chew on your hjt log for a bit before we go too far off the deep end here..