Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using someone else's windows discs to reformat?

• Please log in to reply

martij13

martij13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! I tried to do a search for this but I wasn't having much luck.

I want to reformat my computer, but I don't have my Windows discs. Would it be possible to use someone else's Windows XP discs to do this? I have a Dell. I was thinking about using my friends' discs and I don't know what kind of computer he has, but it's not a Dell. Would this be problematic?

Also, I don't know if I have my iPod discs either. Does anyone know if I need these or if I can get software from the Apple site?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
may i ask why you are reformatting? I whould just want to exersise a word of caution.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try this.

http://support.dell....&c=us&cs=&s=gen

Some computer manufacturers such as Dell, eMachines, and Gateway have begun selling computers without an operating system CD. These computers instead have an option to restore to their original system state. For example, Dell users with this option can reformat using the method above.

Make certain that you back up all files that you wish to keep (papers, pictures, etc.) because they will be lost when you reformat. These are typically stored in the My Documents folder, although may reside in other locations depending on where you save files.

The problem with using a non-dell CD is that you may not have dell specific drivers that they include on a CD(restore CD) if you get one with the computer. If you do try using a non-dell CD you must use a program that will show you your Key that is registered to you. I don't know if using the same key again will work.

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

SRX660

martij13

martij13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have spyware or adware or something that won't remove no matter what we've tried. My computer is just slow overall. I'm sure I have some programs that I'll never use or miss if they're deleted.

I have a laptop with a windows xp product key sticker on it. This is the key that you are talking about, correct?

martij13

martij13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I'm almost positive that I received my Inspiron after the dates specified in the Restore directions from the Dell website. If I do that, will it get rid of the spyware or whatever as effectively?

Thanks for you help guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, a full restoration will get rid of all malware.

Are you sure you don't wanna start a topic in the malware forum and get an expert to help you clean your computer? It may take them a few days to respond to your topic, but at least you wouldn't have to reinstall everything.

Do you know what type of infection you have? And have you tried any of the directions found here?:

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852