Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

N3wb w1th ?¿?'s

• Please log in to reply

Smokeshow

Smokeshow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently acquired 2 pc's. 1 is a pent. 3 & 1 is a AMD athlon 750 (clocked @ 1006? ) Anyways, I have a total of 3 hard drives (40 GB 7200 RPM, 40 GB 5400 RPM, 20 GB 5400 ) and the pentium never recognizes any of them. The AMD recognizes the 40 GB 7200 but shuts down upon windows showing. I need to know what I should do from here? I have XP Disc and key. Should I just reformat the hard drive? Restart from there? I have the floppy for one of the hard drives but it does not fully work it due to the fact it is the only one that it recognizes. Not to knowledgable on this subject. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced...

:tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If the hard drives did not come with the machines the you will have to forrmat and reinstall windows. In other words you can't use a drive with a copy of windows on it that was installed in the p3 and put it in the amd unless you reinstall windows This usually don't work out becuase of driver issues.

When you say that they won't recognize the drive do you mean they won't boot to windows or do you mean the bios don't see them?

I think I would just go ahead and format/reinstall using the XP cd

Rick