Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown Problems, Download Problems

• Please log in to reply

Interquel

Interquel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Let's get right to it. At my apartment, my internet connection always fails when I use some sort of downloading program (ie. Soulseek, BitTorrent). I have tried repairing the connection, but it doesn't get past "renew IP address". When I restart my computer, the connection has returned and all is well. If I don't use one of these programs, the connection will not be disrupted. When I'm online at my parent's house, I never have a problem with any downloading programs. I can use whatever I want, and the connection is fine.
What is going on?

The other issue:
Recently, I haven't been able to shut my computer down. It goes through the process "Log Off, Saving Settings," but when it gets to "Shutting Down", it just sits there. The activity light stops and everything halts. I've had to manually shut it down 3 times, and I cringe every time I have to do it. Anyhow, I'm the type of person who keeps their computer in tip top shape, what with Hijack This, CWShredder, Adaware, Spybot, IE-Spyad, built in Windows Protection, Norton, and Trend Micro, all of it configured correctly, so I'm not so sure it's spyware or a virus. My computer has no other problems but these.

Okay, thanks for reading.

Matt

Edited by Interquel, 25 January 2006 - 11:29 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
during this tip top shape regimen, do you ever run chkdsk? Defrag? You might want to add these to the list

As for the first issue, no where have you mentioned what kind of connection you are using, or what hardware you are using to achieve it. Wireless? Wired? Telephone? Xp Sp1, or SP2 What is different about connections between parents home and apartment

Throw us a bone.

Interquel

Interquel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I apologize.

I'm on the same Presario X1000 laptop in both places. I connect wirelessly at home to an Intel Gateway II connected to a RCA modem connected to Comcast Cable Internet with my Intel Centrino 802.11b wireless connection.

Here in my apartment, I connect wired through a Verizon Stormport 1020 modem on Verizon Avenue DSL, with no telephone connected.

I run defrag and checkdisk about once a month. Windows XP SP2.

Edited by Interquel, 26 January 2006 - 12:15 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do a chkdsk /r soon

have you downloaded the newest drivers for your NIC card since they are different cards that are causing different issues?

Interquel

Interquel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, both done. No remarkable change.

Edited by Interquel, 26 January 2006 - 01:22 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what exactly do you mean by fails at your apartment...let's leave the parent's home out of this.

You are connected and...what happens? The download program fails...does IE fail as well? Is it possible that you are just infected with malware and your bandwith isbeing exhausted?

When it's working, ping google

start > run
cmd
<enter>

ping www.google.com

Leave the command line open

Start program that kills connection
repeat ping...what changes.

Have you checked for malware in the malware forum. It almost sounds like your PC is becoming a zombie and is being used in a DoS attack, thus killing/consuming all bandwith.

Interquel

Interquel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
In the apartment,

When I use a program like Soulseek or BitTorrent, the entire internet connection fails. It is never right away. I have to use the program for about 5-10 minutes, and sometimes it doesn't even happen. But when the internet does fail, I can't access it through any program. If I try the "repair connection" button, it simply tells me it cannot renew the IP address.
If I try to disable the connection, it locks up and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to end the application, which causes explorer to crash and restart. Unplugging power from the modem or unplugging the cord from the computer helps nothing. When I unplug the power or the cable to the computer, it says a network cable has been unplugged. Otherwise, it registers no changes.
The only way to reset it is rebooting.

Since I've chkdsk the drive and installed the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service, it seems to reboot without any problem. I have kept a keen eye on malware, and Hijack this doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.

I'm going to attempt your suggestion in the preceding post now.

Edited by Interquel, 26 January 2006 - 09:45 AM.

Interquel

Interquel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay,

The only difference is, when the program is running (downloading, not stationary), the round trip average increases by about 15-30ms. When the internet is ready to crash, the transfer speed(according to BitTorrent) nosedives, but of course, it didn't happen this time.

EDIT: After further testing...it appears that if I pause the BitTorrent transfer during an internet crash, it stops. The ping doesn't seem to show any difference, even when the BitTorrent transfers are halting.

Edited by Interquel, 26 January 2006 - 10:15 AM.