Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

duel boot win 98 win xp

• Please log in to reply

geordie

geordie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have win 98 on my 20gb c: drive and zp on my 40 gb d: drive
would like to run zp on c: drive and d: for storage only
without having to reinstall xp is it possable
any help willbe very wellcome

Advertisements

geordie

geordie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry zp read xp

SierraBear

SierraBear

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey Goerdie,
You should be able to physically swap the drives on the primary IDE controller with the XP OS set as master and the WIN 98 set as slave. Then the machine will boot to the C:\ drive first containing your copy of XP. You could change the boot sequence in the BIOS, but a physical swap makes more sense.
If you do not want an OS any longer on the D:\ drive and only wish to use it for storage, and have a 3.5 " FDD you can sterilize or erase it by going here:
http://staff.washing...ve/install.html
Read and follow the instructions carefully as a mistake could be costly! This is an excellent tool for removing ALL DATA, but it requires that you format the drive afterward for use. Otherwise, you could run FDISK on the D:\ drive. Good Luck! :tazz:

SierraBear