Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! DIY HTPC was working fine won't boot anymore

• Please log in to reply

rs.

rs.

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I built a HTPC100 with a FoxConn 760GxK8MB motherboard and a Sempron 2800+ CPU a few months ago. The machine was set up to go into standby mode after 30 minutes and it had been doing that just fine for months. To wake it up, I would just press the power button or move the mouse. Everything worked fine. However, just a few hours ago, I tried to press the power button and got no response. I went ahead and unplugged the computer, and when I plugged it back it, the fan started, and it looked like it was starting its boot sequence. However, after the beep, it simply turned itself off before going into POST. Pressing the power button does not have any effect. The only thing I can do, is unplug the computer, wait for 15 sec or so, and when I plug it in, without pressing the power button, it starts the boot sequence, and again, at the beep, it turns itself off.

At this point I have no idea what could be happening or where the problem might be. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me in any way.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for and load fail safe / BIOS defaults, press F10 to save changes, type Y to confirm then press enter and the PC will reboot, as soon as it starts this, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode

Some PC's use F1 or F2 to access BIOS set up

Some PC's use F5 to access the start up options

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion; however, the computer turns itsell off before it starts POST, it doesn't seem to react to any keyboard events.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the fan still working

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, all fans are working, CPU, PSU, and case. The computer is about to go into POST when it suddendly shuts off. Also I noticed that the power switch has no effect although it checks fine with an ohm meter. I have to remove the power cord, wait about 15 secs. and plug it back in to get it started. Of course as soon as it would go into POST, it shuts itself off.

thanks for your help.

rs

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove all the PCI plug in cards on the motherboard, leave the minimum amount of memory in, leave just one hard drive and try then

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried that, even disconnected the hard drive to see if at least I can get into the BIOS; same thing, it beeps as if it were going to execute POST and shuts down, all within 5 seconds of powering up.

thanks

Edited by rs., 27 January 2006 - 05:07 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi rs.

Can you try the following instructions please. Wear an anti-static strap if you have one or at very least, make sure you discharge your static by touching a metal surface before touching any of the internal components in the PC :

1) Disconnect the external power lead, open up the case & disconnect the internal power leads that connect the PSU to the motherboard

2) Make sure you disconnect any USB devices (except keyboard), any internal USB fly leads, all drive cabling (disconnect at the motherboard end), cards, the Leave the cpu+heatsink/fan, ram & video card in place. Also make sure you still have the internal speaker or buzzer connected.

3) Look for a jumper near the cmos battery. It should be labelled CLS_CMOS. According to the manual for your motherboard, you need to place the jumper cap over pins 1-2. This is the reverse for all other motherboards I've come across so it could be a printing error in the manual. I suggest in that case, that if the jumper is currently over pins 2-3, then move it to cover pins 1-2. But if it is already over pins 2-3, then place it over pins 1-2 instead.
Leave in this position for about 30 seconds, then replace the jumper over the original pins.

4) Reconnect the main 20pin ATX power connector to the board & the 4 pin (PWR2) connector.

5) Power the system on again & let me know what happens i.e do you hear any beeps, get a picture on screen, do the keyboard lights flash?

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I stripped all the power connections down to just power to the board and CPU, removed all the cards and other cables, left only the power switch connection. Reset the CMOS jumper, and as you suggested, left in in that position for over 30 seconds. No change...

I'm going to try another PSU, and then another MOBO...

thanks for your suggestions.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Let us know how you get on

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, it was the MOBO. Switched to a MSI RS482 MOBO, and it worked perfectly. THe MOBO is only a few months old; I'm going to try to send it back to FoxConn.

THanks for all your help!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome.
Glad you've been able to resolve the problem. To be honest, I've not heard good reports about Foxconn so probably best to avoid them in the future!

rs.

rs.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
THanks for your advice. I bought a NMEDIA htpc barebones system which came with this board...