Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop getting slower everyday

• Please log in to reply

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this.
i've done pretty much whatever i can find in this forum.

currently using a hp laptop, 1.6GHz, 512mb ram, 60G HD

been using it for about a year now.
its getting very very very slow......
slow to start up, very slow to close programs......it even takes a few seconds for start menu to appear when i click on it.
running AVG and webroot spy sweeper in background.....
very sure there are no viruses or spymare/malware..
i've also run cccleaner everyday to clear all unwanted stuff.....

other than reformatting my lappie, is there anything else i can do?

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Some brief steps that can help your performance.

Run a Defrag on your hard drive (make sure any important data is backed up before running this)
Clean temporary files
Run a Registry cleaner

This should help some, you could also try disabling some of your startup items to free up some resources.

If you need more info, please advise

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Some brief steps that can help your performance.

Run a Defrag on your hard drive (make sure any important data is backed up before running this)
Clean temporary files
Run a Registry cleaner

This should help some, you could also try disabling some of your startup items to free up some resources.

If you need more info, please advise

i run defrag almost every week.
i also use ccleaner to clear all internet cache and other misc stuff

anything else i can do?
the lag is especially obvious when i leave my laptop unattended for maybe half an hour then i come back to use it.....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen a number of cases in which AVG, which is an excellent program, became corrupted and slowed down a computer badly. Disconnect from the internet and uninstall AVG and the antispyware, reboot and compare performance. If OK, reinstall the programs.

RE. Malware, the most common cause for slowdowns, I wouldn't exclude this possibility eventhough you feel that the computer is clean

There are a number of other things that could slow the computer. Start with this.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
The Skeptic makes a good point, I'm just curious though, have you verified your Hibernation settings, if enabled at all, and if so, what settings including advanced have you selected

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
uninstalled avg, as usual, cleared with ccleaner, no spyware, malware.....
still the same prob......

i dont leave my laptop on hibernation mode......i just leave it on, hibernation disabled............
so i can use it whever i want w/o waiting........but the lag is so bad after i leave it for an hour that i need to wait at l;east 5 min after i move my mouse before i can do anything?

really frustrated......
would greatly appreciate any help rendered...thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Enter BIOS and, if possible, make sure that cpu cache is enabled (all levels). Also, if possible, check that cpu speed in the BIOS matches your hardwares. The same with RAM speed (I say "if possible" because many times you don't see these parameters in laptop BIOS. It's a very easy test and worthwhile trying).

2: Download and run Everest home edition. Click computer > sensor. Check cpu, HD and board temperatures. If cpu temp is too high it might be throttling back to avoid damage to itself.

3: Is it possible that your HD is too full? Check and deframent the disk.

4: download and run memtest86 to test your ram.

5: Download a hard disk test program from the manufacturer of your HD site, run it and see the results.

Last: What makes you so confident about not having any malware. Please specify what steps you took to clean your computer.

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ran through several programs?
i have webroot spy sweeper....
i also installed n updated ad aware SE n ran through as well.......
virus scans by avg previously no prob at all.....

will check my bios

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
laptop BIOS doesnt allow me to check cpu cache
running 2 x 256mb 2700 @ 166 though
CPU temp at 64 deg C (147F)
HD temp at 37 deg C (99F)
is this too high?
i even have a laptop mount with 2 fans below blowing at the bottom of the laptop constantly.....
had the MB on my main PC burn up on me before so i'm a freak when it comes to cooling......lolx

memtest can onli be run from floppy, my lappie has no floppy drive.......can i run it from a cd?

toshiba 60g hard disk that came wif laptop, toshiba has no checking utillities for hard drives.
best i can do is a built in test in the laptop BIOS that checks the HD, no problems noted.
are there any freeware advanced harddisk utillities?

hard disk is @ around 60% usage with around 15G remaining
i defrag every week w/o fail, w/o any probs.
checked for errors as well no errors to report

greatly appreciate any help rendered
agin, the emphasis here is on the very noticeable lag after i leave it idle for some time....though frankly, the laptop has slowed down a lot on the whole.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Those CPU temps are normal. Considering that it's a time lapsed issue, and the hardware seems to be functioning, short of the processor's lifespan being comprimised somehow, which is extremelt doubtful, Your problem is most likely software related.

I'd say for the time being, try going to the HiJackThis section of the forum and run their initial testing listed at the begining of the forum. If you don't resolve anything with those instructions, run and post a log in that forum to see if any problems are visible. Keep in mind, programs such as Adaware and AVG should be run in safe mode to properly target everything each respective program is designed to fix.

Let me know if you need further help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
On the whole I agree with BabyTech and, as you can see from previous posts, I cannot exclude malware or corrupted files problem. However, there is one thing which I dont like and that's the cpu tem. 64 degrees is high for an idling computer.

Try to enter BIOS and see if there is a "throttle back" item (or something of this nature) in one of the menus. If there is, disable it and try performance while the computer is hot

You mentioned that the computer slows down after idling for sometime. This increases my suspicion. Try to switch it off, let it cool , reboot and check performance immediately, while still cold.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, I also think that is a high

I have a 2.6gb p4 in my laptop and enjoy 42c at idle

WITH MACHINE OFF
Check the intake and exhaust fan screens...dirty? Put paper clip through the screen to hold the fan still, then blast it with compressed air or use a vacuum cleaner.

You want to hold the fan in place because the compressed air will spin the fan beyond spec, possible burning out the bearings. If you can, open it up and take a look at blocked air passages.

I've found laptops so completely congested no air is getting to the cpu or gpu.

Do not remove heatsinks from CPUs...

You said you had a laptop cooler...these can be counter productive unless you know what you are doing. For example, some laptop coolers draw air away from the bottom. Some laptops intake air from the bottom.

This leads to MORE heat.

You need the right laptop cooler for the right laptop

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Maybe I was jumping to conclusions....I was trying to remember the name of the app, but 64 degrees is a very specific # that a few apps will constantly display on the readings. I don't remember off the top of my head, but, is it saying that both your CPU and MoBo temps are 64C?

Ben Wu

Ben Wu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, thanks for the advice guys, will to do a check on temp for various states the laptop is in (idle...etc) and report back here.

thanks
appreciate the help.