Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

newly added HDD help

• Please log in to reply

martens24

martens24

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just added a second HDD in my computer. Using Acronis, I have all my information on my new Hard Drive. I would like to completely erase my old Drive and use it for storage of data. What is the easiest and safest way to do this? Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just right click the drive in explorer and select format.

martens24

martens24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So I did as you said and selected format. Once it completed, I received the prompt "Windows was unable to complete the format." I closed out of that window and reopened explorer. I selected drive "D" (my second hard drive) and received the prompt "The disk in drive D is not formated. Do you want to format it now?" I selected yes and went through the process again and am back at the same place with the same prompt. What should I do now?

fletch500

fletch500

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i recently purchased a new hard drive and found some useful information from the seagate website

http://www.seagate.c..._disk_mgmt.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try doing it the way in that article its pretty much what i would tell you to do except put nicer.

martens24

martens24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So, I followed the instructions on the web page and am in business. Thanks a heap!