Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply

powlaz

powlaz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to understand a little more about the Windows Registry. To control web usage at work I decided to engage the Internet Explorer Content Advisor with a password protection. My son told me that some of the fellas have found a way around the Content Advisor with a Registry Edit that allows them full access to the Internet. (He showed me it)
But if I try to access the internet from their computers the Content Advisor password screen still comes up. Is it possible that they have decoded the password?
I found where the password is stored in my Registry and I tried to use Hexadecimal to ASCII converters but the word is giberish. I assume the word is somehow encrypted. What encryption is used? What could these guys be using to 'reverse engineer' the password?
I realize I need a better method of protection. I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'd like to beat these guys at their own game. Thanks for the hints.

P

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the CA password is 'masked' (represented by asterisks), there are free utilities (and easily available) to reveal it without requiring any registry hacks whatsoever.

This forum will, however, not tolerate posts which labour on the issue of password hacking ---- for very obvious and commendable reasons.

powlaz

powlaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just for the record, since I am new to the forum and don't want to start off on the wrong foot, I'M the one who set the password. I already know what it is. I'm trying to figure out how they decrypted the password from the registry so I can leave a clever new password telling them they're caught, subsequently beating them at their own game. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. I didn't intend to disgrace this forum. Can you help?

P