Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Really confused

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

I just added a new Dell Desktop running XP Pro to our small network (5 total). On this new system I can access the files stored on the "server" computer, but when I click on explorer, the page can not be displayed.

I'm confused. The cable rep told me the system should set up automatically (once I checked off the LAN and automatic configure box). I called the guy that I used to set up the network and he told me that if the network is up then I should be able to access the internet. He also suggested unplugging the whole system and then firing it back up. I did, but it still didn't work.

Was I supposed to install anything? Is there a checklist of things I can try?

Please help!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Sheal,
(Please do this on the new computer, along with the Server computer) Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

If you have five computers, then why don't you just use a router, rather than connecting through a Host computer? From your description, I'm assuming that your new computer is connecting to another computer, and sharing that computers Internet? If that's the case, you need to make sure that your Default Gateway (on the new computer) is your Host (Server) Computer's IP Address.

Alternately, you can run the Network Setup Wizard --
Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter the Workgroup Name of your network and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
  • You can now select the option Just finish the Wizard; I don't need to run the Wizard on the other computers and then press Next -- finally, press Finish.
Are you now able to share the Internet Connection?