Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Sherrie

Sherrie

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have had this problem for about 4 weeks. I've researched online and tried numerous possible solutions with no luck. Usually I can click on my IE icon and it seems to try to open but then goes instantly blank. When I try to close the page I get an error message telling me that it is not responding so I have to choose "close now". About 1/4 of the time the initial IE page will load but when I try a link or try to surf I end up with a blank page. The Event Viewer classifies this as an "application hang" and tells me that there is no further information available. I've read that I need to check for IE updates. Problem with this is that I need IE to work inorder to access the page. I'm currently using Firefox.
I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I don't mind Firefox so much but I do miss using IE. I also have a lot of important sites that are bookmarked in IE that I can't access now.

just in case ... I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000 and running Windows XP.

Thanks for your time and assistance

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
have you downloaded all of the patches for IE? IE 6 has more wholes in it then a piece of swiss cheese, also have you tried the "fix ie" fix posted in this forum?

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
the "fix ie" fix? Where can I find this? Is this the title of a thread in this forum? I will have to search for it.

I have not downloaded any plug-ins. Can I do this while using Firefox? When I attempt to access a site to download updates for i.e. I get a message telling me that I must be operating with Windows. Windows isn't working so that's not an option.

Thank you.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
sorry about that. im not exactly a night owl and sometimes make errors like that. please try this fix: http://www.geekstogo...er-60-t251.html

thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hi,
the link that mile runner sent you should be good however, when all else fails go to the safer, faster and more reliable browser, firefox. I see that you have it and i would say just stick with it however if you are stuck with IE go with the link that mile runner sent you and it should fix ya up.
thanx
James

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks James. I'm going to sit down tonight and following the instructions that Mile Runner has given me.

I do like Firefox and might continue using it. I will just feel better once I can open IE and gain access to the many important sites I have bookmarked. Right now I can't get to them.

thank you again.

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok I printed off the instructions to follow which included 2 possible methods of fixing my IE problem

Method one would not work. I did as instructed. I box popped up as if something was going to happen and then immediately disappeared. Tried 3 or 4 times and nothing.

Method two required me to locate the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder. I right clicked, as instructed and then clicked "install". This is what occured:

A box appeared that stated "The file 'IEXPLORE.EXE' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and click "ok".

In the "copy files for" box was this ... C:\windows\inf\i386. When I clicked "ok" the same window pops up again..over and over. If I choose "browse" next to the "copy files for" box, instead of clicking ok, I get a pop up telling me that the file was not found.

blah!

now what? :tazz:

Thank you again for your help

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
still needing help. thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i personaly have never resulted in needing to use the methodes, however if a file is missing then i don't think we are going to get anywhere without getting it replaced. Could you try methode 2 one last time. Also are you using IE6. The lastest version?
On another note please do not bump your topic.
thanx
James

Edit: i'm going to dig around and c what i can dig up to.

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks James. I did attempt both methods again today before posting. Same results.

My thread was buried on the 2nd page and I assumed that it was thought the problem was taken care of. Am I suppose to create another thread?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no, no stick with this one. If the problem is ever resolved they will deleat it, till that point they usually leave it for a long period of time, aprox 1-2 months. So don't worry about them closing it for now, lets focues on find out whats going on here. Any ways getting back to the situation. What version of IE do you have and have you ever suspect malware before on your computer?
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2006 - 02:28 PM.

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok Thanks

Yes, using IE6. I first suspected it was malware related so I posted a hijack this log on the other forum and followed a long list of instructions for cleaning my pc. After everything was done I was told that my computer was clean and I should post a thread in this forum.

thank you for your help

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i looked all the problems you have had in the past and all i can say is, you are unlucky. Anyways, have you ever tried another browser? If not i strongly suggest that you try firefox for now as a temperairy fix then when i can think of something i'll let you know. Because i'm stuck. I'm going to start looking around however please BE PATIENT.
thanx
James

Edit: Also try removing all the temperairy files and cookies by doing the following
start->controle panel->internet options
-> delete cookies then click ok
->delete files check the remove offline files and click ok
then c if it improves anything

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2006 - 02:40 PM.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
Sherrie,

What are all the reasons you need IE? Are you just more comfortable with it? Or do you need it to receive Windows Updates?

MasterJ

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
My husband and oldest son use the computer as much as I do and they dislike Firefox. We all have important sites bookmarked on IE that we now cannot access. I'm a homeschooling mother of 5 and I have a ton of wonderful educational resources that are bookmarked in IE and I really do need them back. I was foolish to not write them down or save them to my harddrive but hindsights 20/20 they say :tazz: I do paid surveys online for extra income and usually make about $75-$100 a month. Approximately 1/2 of the surveys do not support the Firefox browser so those surveys I am unable to participate in. So there are a few reasons why I need to keep trying. I just don't understand why I can't figure it out. One day the computer was fine.. the next day it wasn't. The computer is less than a year old.

Thanks