Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow boot up

• Please log in to reply

jimbobway

jimbobway

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
just recently built my first computer........

Asus A8N SLI Premium
1 gig of OCZ Platinum PC 3200 (2x512)
AMD Athlon 64 3700 (stock heatsink & fan)
xion II case
Preoverclocked XFX 7800 GT
Maxtor Diamond 10 series, Ultra 133 ( from an old system)

It booted up passing the post test, it went through the bios screens everything looking fine. Once it came to the black windows screen it stayed there for like 20 seconds, while the blue scroll bar was skipping. It then hits a black screen for about another 30 seconds and sits at the windows screen for a little while, overall windows is slow, installing and viewing things. I already tested the hd and the ide cable but both were good. I placed my hd into my family computer, thinking that the drivers were the issue, (nforce 2 chipset and an ati radeon 9600 pro) The hd had just windows and no drivers but it booted up just fine in my family pc. I swapped ide cables from the primary to secondary controllers same slow performance. A friend tested the memory and graphics card, they both came out good. I eventually installed the lastest drivers but it did nothing. I do notice that when i click on a folder and move it around the transition is very choppy but i looked in the device manager and it said that the drivers were installed. What could be causing that? The only things that i did not do is update the bios, but i've been told that that won't help, nor the psu (i tried two power supplies but same issue) and mobo. At first i thought that the cpu was defective and i returned it but i have the same issue with the other one, b/c of that i don't think it was the cpu in the first place, tigerdirect will send me an email after they have tested the other cpu i sent back. Sorry for all the writing, you guys can take a bathroom break..........i looked in bios multiple times but everything is recognized and the settings are correct, at least that i know of im a beginner. Do you think that the ide controllers might be bad? There were no conflicts in the device manager, so im not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

You mentioned that the hard drive was from your old system. When you installed it in the new system, did you format the drive & perform a clean installation of Windows?

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi there

You mentioned that the hard drive was from your old system. When you installed it in the new system, did you format the drive & perform a clean installation of Windows?

Yes i did. I recently found out that i need windows service pack 2 b/c some file i my graphics card won't function correctly without it. Before i didn't have any windows updates, if that helps or opens up more questions.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
First thing to try then, is go into the bios & make sure you have disabled the firewire (1934) controller & any other onboard devices that you don't use.

If that doesn't make any difference, then update the bios. Make sure you know what your current bios version is so you can find a suitable one to update to.

To update it, you can either use the flash utility provided by Asus or follow the instructions below.
Download the bios from Asus & extract the files to a floppy disk. Insert the floppy & switch the machine on. While it is posting (doing the memory check, drive detection etc), press the ALT+F2 keys & it should automatically flash itself.

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

First thing to try then, is go into the bios & make sure you have disabled the firewire (1934) controller & any other onboard devices that you don't use.

If that doesn't make any difference, then update the bios. Make sure you know what your current bios version is so you can find a suitable one to update to.

To update it, you can either use the flash utility provided by Asus or follow the instructions below.
Download the bios from Asus & extract the files to a floppy disk. Insert the floppy & switch the machine on. While it is posting (doing the memory check, drive detection etc), press the ALT+F2 keys & it should automatically flash itself.

I will try those things but i am waiting for my repaired or replacement mobo. I sent my motherboard back to asus on wed., its a long process since there going to test it, they say something like 10 days when they receive it!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Let us know how you get on with the replacement board

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

One quick question...........does it matter what power cord you use for your power supply b/c i think i might have switched the two power cords that i have, one for the case and one for the enermax. One just has pvc and a few numbers on it, the other says linktech or something to that matter and multiple numbers and letters on the cord.

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Another question...........i just was looking through my motherboard manual and i was looking under innovative features, i was reading about asus' EZ plug, its a four pin auxiliary +12v connector right above the pci express slot. I was always wondering what it was for and i always thought it had to do with sli mode. It says that it ensures extra power to your mobo and other peripherals, also maintains voltage integrity, i never had it plug in. I went to my friend's yesterday, he has the asus a8n sli deluxe but he ordered his pre-built online, so i can't ask him for help, and i noticed that that cord was plugged in in his mobo. I don't know if that might be my problem, do you think if the mobo wasn't getting enough power it would slow boot up?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Re. the power lead, it shouldn't matter which one you use. The one that came with the case will be meant for the power supply anyway. If the other one came with the power supply you are using, then stick to that one just because it may be slightly better quality.

Re. the EZ plug connector. From what I've always understood from reading Asus manuals etc (I do have a life really), it is only needed when running two SLI video cards. If you only have one card, then it should be fine without it. That said, I can't imagine it would do any harm to have it connected anyway.

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I called asus and they said that they received the motherboard on Friday. It will be a 5-10 day process before i get it back, so i hope to reply by the end of this week.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have you got norton anti-virus 2006 installed? as that slowed my computer down by like 200%

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Have you got norton anti-virus 2006 installed? as that slowed my computer down by like 200%

NOOOOO, REALLY? Norton AV was responsible for slowing your computer down?
That can't possibly be true!! :tazz:

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

NOOOOO, REALLY? Norton AV was responsible for slowing your computer down?
That can't possibly be true!! :tazz:

Im still waiting for my motherboard!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Well I guess if you sent it back on the 25th Jan, it will take at least a day to get to ASUS, plus the 10 days they estimated for testing it, then another day or so to send the replacement board to you. Did they mean 10 working days or 10 straight days?

jimbobway

jimbobway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Well I guess if you sent it back on the 25th Jan, it will take at least a day to get to ASUS, plus the 10 days they estimated for testing it, then another day or so to send the replacement board to you. Did they mean 10 working days or 10 straight days?

They mean ten business days, which makes it longer