Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

cwazee

cwazee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have an AMD Athlon 64x2 and i play counterstrike and counterstrike source. i want to get a new video card for my computer but i dont know what to get. i want to get the best video card available that will work with my computer that will make my games way better. the cost doesnt matter, any suggestions?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well if you say price is no object :tazz:
this hard is hardcore
the ati radeon x1900 xtx
http://www.ati.com/p...1900/index.html
but your motherboard must be pci express 16x compatable list your specs for me this will help a bit

or you could link two graphics card together using cross fire technology but you have to find compatable cards

Which card do you prefer ati or nvidea?

cwazee

cwazee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I dont know if my motherboard is pci express compatible or how to check.
I like ATI cards myself.
I dont think my computer would be good enough to use the 1900 so do you think you could tell me the best card
that would work with my computer, here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ Dual Core
Memory: 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Video: 128MB Integraded Onboard VGA with DVI
Hard Drive: 200GB 7200RPM IDE
Power Supply: 300 Watts

Edited by cwazee, 27 January 2006 - 04:32 AM.

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
From the look of your specs, no matter which graphics card you want to upgrade to you will need a bigger PSU, 300 Watts is nowhere nere enough to power a decent card. There are small programs that you can download free that will give you your system info, take a look on Google.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The cpu is good enough as its dual core it shouldnt limit the gpu on newer games that are coming out with dual core, the PSU is actually borderline now so definately bigger is needed and you could use another 512Mb of ram as well for gaming, but if cost is no issue x1900xtx definatley its as fast as money can buy, prices arent to bad either. PC wizard or cpu z can tell you what you have for gfx interface, should be pci-e.

cwazee

cwazee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
when i play counterstrike i have a latency of anywhere from 5 to 50 but when im walking it seems to lag a bit, what should i get to make so it doesnt lag. also what do i need to buy to make my computer better maybe make a list of what to buy

Edited by cwazee, 27 January 2006 - 04:01 PM.