Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Unistall linksys software

• Please log in to reply

jolo99

jolo99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A week ago my computer went really weird. I ran winrescue and everthing seemed fine. It redetected my linksys card but when I tried to run there software to get onto the internet it wouldnt run. Then i thought i would uninstall it and reinstall it but when i tried to uninstall it i got some error that said "The InstallShield Engine(iKernel.exe could not be lauched. The Rpc server is unavailable" I really hope someone could help. thxs

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What operating system are you using? XP? Try pressing F8 during bootup and choose "Safe Mode" then try uninstalling it from "Safe Mode".

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

EnderTheThrd

EnderTheThrd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Check to see if Dcom is running. (Start>run services.msc)
If it isn't listed as started, then start it. Also set it to run automatically so you don't have this problem again.
On the off chance that it helps, you might try start>run net start rpcss
This won't break anything, but it probably won't help since it starts the RPC server, which is probably running just fine.

InstallShield (iKernel.exe) uses Dcom for something.. I don't know what. My best guess is that it tries to communicate with a server through the internet (it does this for sure, get a firewall like zonealarm and you can see this) and it uses Dcom to do it.

I know of several programs that turn off Dcom in an effort to improve the security of your system. One of those may have caused it. I turned it off myself after I went to a website that told me nobody uses Dcom. Nobody does... except InstallShield.

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
an alternate to the start>run>services.msc is:

start>run>msconfig

gives u a broader menu

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
another thing u could do is delete the installation directory which will probably be within program files the go to start run regedit and edit find and put in linksys and delete everything it finds for that then it will be completely removed from ur system and u can then reinstall.

ricardo_j

ricardo_j

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Finally cracked this problem on XP. I deleted iKernel.exe from prefetch. Uninstall routine working straight away!
:tazz: