Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Administrator problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bharat14

bharat14

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there
Much as i would like to be, I am not an expert on computers. So if anyone does take the trouble to help me please "use plain and simple english". I used to be able to defragment up until now but then with the help of a friend ( who has now gone for a 2 nonth holiday) i managed to install XP pro. Unintentionally, I set an administrator account. After a many attempts managed to remember the password. Here is the problem, i cannot defragment, it gives all sort of error messages like " you dont have admin priveleges" or "you need to have admin rights" etc. I have used the "user accounts" option to give myself "admin rights" but to no avail. How do i log on as an administrator? How do i defragment? Please can any generous and helpful
soul help a frustrated and useless XP user? i would be grateful. :) :) :tazz:

Thanking all those who try to explain a solution.

Regards
Bharat

Advertisements

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Hi, and welcome to GeekstoGo! I am STV0726, a geek in training and would like to welcome you to this great community. So welcome, and thanks for choosing us to help you!

1st of all: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however; your post is in the wrong forum. The Admins/Moderaters will take care of it, but this isn't a comment suggestion. I"m just trying to look out for you, so you have a good start here on G2G. Oh, looks the moderaters already fixed that. :-)

2nd: Let's analyze your problem. I really am having a hard time understanding your problem. Are you saying that you LOST the password to your administrative account, thus you don't have admin privillages on your other user account to defragment?

GeekstoGo is great, but we really don't assist with password problems. We have no way of knowing if you are a hacker and are using it for hacking purposes. However, the other part of your problem, we can help!

Please give me somemore information in this post and I will continue my assistance...

-STV0726 :tazz:

Edited by STV0726, 27 January 2006 - 04:05 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i managed to install XP pro.

how did you go about doing this?
how did you get the version of xp pro that you installed?

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks Dnsette. I didn't even realize that. He brings a good point: Getting Windows XP Pro with problems depends a lot on the source! So, gimme da sources! :tazz:

bharat14

bharat14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Steve for such a quick reply and thank you for welcoming me. To answer your question, NO i dont need help with finding the password. I have remembered my password and can log on but even when i log on as an administrator i am unable to defragment. So my question/request is for someone like yourself to give me instructions as to how to defragment whilst there is an administrator account set up? i have managed to give myself another account with full admin rights, and even from this account i am unable to defragment.

I hope this gives you an idea of my problems. Once again cheers for replying in a flash.

bharat14

bharat14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

how did you go about doing this?
how did you get the version of xp pro that you installed?

I did not ask this friend of mine. He used to have a computer repair shop and had lots of computer things in his shop. Unfortunately he had to concentrate on his studies so he quit that job and now he is on a holiday.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....well....that suggests to me that you did not pay for the copy of xp that is on your system...until you can verify the source of the installation by contacting your friend...this thread is closed....once you find out the information that i have requested...you can pm me...and i will reopen it