Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video problem and cpu spiking

• Please log in to reply

donr53

donr53

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have a couple of Questions about cpu performance. Under task manager under performance my computer peaks at 100% every couple of seconds. I don't believe that this should be normal. Under another tab the system idle is mostly at 95-97% What does this mean. And could that be the cause of my dvd, and other video clips not working properly? they are very choppy. I have xp, 512 memory, 450 speed Thanks in advance for any help you can give me Donr53

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi donr53

In short, no that isn't normal behaviour. Can you tell me what you mean by '450 speed'? Do you mean the cpu is 450MHz?

Also, can you download Hijack This please & run it :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload3155.html

To run it, just double click on the hijackthis.exe file. Select 'do system scan & save log file' option. When hijack has finished scanning, copy & paste the contents of the log file into your next post.

I need this in order to eliminate malware as a possibility. If it turns out you do have malware, I will ask you to post the log in the malware forum for them to sort out. If you don't have malware, or if you still have the same problem after visiting the malware forum, I will help you further.

Can you also tell me if you have an anti-virus program on your system & if so, is it up-to-date & have you run a complete system scan?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks Samm Yes it is 450 mhz. I have etrust EZarmor suite and it is up to date. I've ran what is called the security tango in this region. It consist of Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot, Stinger, CW shredder, and anti-virus. Every thing seems fine. My video problems started about 4 months ago and I've been investigating, when I came up with these cpu Questions. more in next post. Here is your Hijackthis report Thanks for helping Donr53Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:08:48 PM, on 1/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
E:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
E:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
E:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.215.5\QOELoader.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
E:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
E:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110285~1\EE\AOLHOS~1.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\msoffice.exe
E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110285~1\EE\AOLServiceHost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
E:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
E:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe
E:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\shellmon.exe
E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe
E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
E:\Documents and Settings\Don.DON-1\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.10nbc.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - E:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {ACB1E670-3217-45C4-A021-6B829A8A27CB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - E:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] E:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "E:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "E:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "E:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.215.5\QOELoader.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "E:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] E:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1102859095\EE\AOLHostManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] E:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "E:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Reminder] E:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = E:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://E:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - E:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com...kup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - https://mysupport.na...pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1....loadManager.ocx
O16 - DPF: {B942A249-D1E7-4C11-98AE-FCB76B08747F} (RealArcadeRdxIE Class) - http://games-dl.real...ArcadeRdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} (Driver Agent ActiveX Control) - http://driveragent.c...driveragent.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.h.../qdiagh.cab?326
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - E:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - E:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - E:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - E:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - E:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - E:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
450 MHz!? Geez. How old's this thing? :tazz: If you have some background things, I believe task manager is right...

Edited by Comrade General, 27 January 2006 - 06:28 PM.

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Samm I've run tuneup utilities 2006 trial version, pc pitstop, and driver agent. grandkids like noggin website for the music videos. a few months ago no video just sound, now have video, but video is choppy,sound is ok. put in dvd burner and the video and audio are really choppy. Computer is starting to freeze in games etc. which it never did. Ran sherlock codec checker, it found a couple of bad audio codec, but I don't think that is it. any way I don't know how to fix them or even where to find them. Donr53

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Your hijack log looks fine in terms of malware etc. I just wanted to be sure as malware is a common cause of cpu utilisation being at 100%.

What I will say though, is that for a machine of that spec, you have an awful lot of things running in the background. I strongly suspect that it is one of those programs (or a combination) that is causing the cpu to peek like that.
It would also explain the video being choppy.

Can you go to Start->Run and type msconfig <OK>
Click on the startup tab & let me know what is listed in the left hand column. Don't worry about listing any repeat entries a second time.

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thanks Samm got the list of startup programs. Some of the items have been uninstalled. I couldn't figure out a way to copy them so I type them into note pad. Also while in msconfig, I started up in diagnostic startup. The system idle process system is still running at 97-97% and the cpu was at 3-8% except when I asked it to do something. In normal the cpu hits 100% every couple of seconds when you just sit and watch it. Thanks again Donr53 start up list

ca
hpgs2wnd
engutil
drgtodsc
rxmon
pdvdserv
gttask
qoeloader
portaol
nwiz
rundell32
nerocheck
aolhostmanager
ppacticve
cavrid
cavtray
aoldial
aolscheduler
a blank one that is checked
itune helper
ctfmon
nbj
msmsgs
reminder
adobereader
microsoftoffice

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you go back to the startup tab in msconfig & clear the checkbox to the left of each of these items please :

hpgs2wnd
engutil
drgtodsc
rxmon
pdvdserv
gttask
portaol
nerocheck
aoldial
aolscheduler
a blank one that is checked
itune helper
nbj
reminder
adobereader
microsoftoffice

Also, could you check the spelling of these two entries please :
rundell32 - if this is correct then disable. If it actually reads rundll32, then leave it ticked.
ppacticve - check this spelling & let me if correct. Leave ticked for now

After disabling these items, reboot the system normally & let me know if the cpu is still peaking at or near 100%

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Samm I did as you asked. Rundll32 I left checked, PPactivecheck I unticked because it was pest control. The cpu is at 4-8%. whatever page file is its at 151mb and the system idle process is still high at about 95%. However when I put in a dvd or try a video clip it goes to 100% and stays there, a flat out line, and the system idle process goes to 0. I'm beginning to wander if something has gone bad, rather then a missed placed setting Thanks donr53

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Can you confirm the following please...

1. Has the cpu stopped peaking at 100% now? (Not counting the times when you play videos etc)

2. Is video playback any better than it was before in terms of being choppy?

3. Have you noticed any overall difference in performance/speed of the system since disabling those entries?

Advertisements

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
yes, it doesn't spike now
the video is not much better, if any
the computer it self seems slightly better,however it has froze on 2 occassions

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you tell me what video card you have please? In particular, is an onboard card (i.e integrated into the motherboard) & how much video ram does it have?

Also, what programs did you have open on the computer at the times when it froze?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
nvidia rivi tnt2 model64/model64 pro, it's in the agp slot and has 32 video memory
I had no programs open except power dvd5 trying the dvd again.
windows update had a newer driver for the video no difference
I also updated power dvd 5 with a patch also no help

Edited by donr53, 29 January 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
One of the items I asked you to disable was pdvdserv which is part of power dvd.
If you still have problems with it, then you may need to either start this component manually or re-enable it in msconfig

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I start it , then try the dvd, but still really chopped up even the sound.
also it's the same with windows media player
on video clips off the internet the sound is ok, but the video is chopped up