Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems playing games

• Please log in to reply

CBR

CBR

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Had Windows ME and been playing card games in MSN Games Zone internet site for years, without any problems at all. (I have Internet High Speed.) I caught a virus recently and had my computer re-format and at the same time, I decided to get Windows XP SP2 installed. Everything is working great except for this one thing: I get into the MSN Games Zone site no problems, but as soon as I start a game, the lagging starts here: my cards barely moves! I have ActiveX and Java (latest versions). What can I do? Please help! I miss my games so much! Thank you guys in advance to try helping us out!

CBR
:tazz:

Advertisements

NeilA

NeilA

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Switch off the windows firewall as a test if is on that is.

Neil.

CBR

CBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you very much Neil, unfortunately, I tried that and the problem was still there. But, fortunately, a friend came over and worked it out, so I thought I'd let you know if anyone ever encounters this problem. As I said, I had Windows XP SP2 installed, and he took off the 'SP2' portion, and voilà! For some reasons, that was the problem. Everything is great now. Take care!
CBR

AndI2eVv

AndI2eVv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,
Yea.. I'm having that same problem, but I'm not really sure what you mean by remove the 'SP2' part? And yes i tried it with the firewall off and it didn't change anything.
Thnx in advance,
Andrew

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Personnaly, I won't recommend SP2. It's a known Issue- SP2 is doing some problems with games. Just delete the service pack. If you need security, Buy or Download a Internet Antivirus- Norton Internet Security, Red Alert, etc...

Greetings from Israel!!!

israel_guy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sp2 is highly recommended by GTG.

try this as a starting point: http://zone.msn.com/...cle/support2227

xp sp2 firewall settings: http://zone.msn.com/...cle/support3411

most importantly here is what msn says about high latency, slow performance:

http://zone.msn.com/...support3431.htm

and lastly check to see if you video card or network has newer drivers that are available.