Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Form Factor

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My friend has a IBM 818321U and wants to get a case. Its one of those compact things so I tried to find his motherboard's form factor but Everest Trail Edition did not help any for some reason... (The whole section about the motherboard was wiped...) The model is above, does anyone if it is an upgradeable case or not? ^^

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

According to IBM, the system is microATX form factor. However, from what I can tell, it has a riser card for the PCI slots which means the chances of finding a standard case that will fit are virtually zero.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hi there

According to IBM, the system is microATX form factor. However, from what I can tell, it has a riser card for the PCI slots which means the chances of finding a standard case that will fit are virtually zero.

Please explain what a riser card is? :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
A riser card is a printed circuit board that plugs into the motherboard. It will have the PCI slots mounted on it. As a result, any PCI cards will be mounted in the same direction as the motherboard, as opposed to being at a right angle to it