Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTFS Partition To Fat32 Partition

• Please log in to reply

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a 30gb laptop hard drive that had WinXPHome installed, partitioned at about 60%-40% in the NTFS format.

Insert Win98 Boot Disk, go to fdisk and no matter what I do I can't get the extended drive to go away. C: Primary drive. No problems. Fdisk calls the extra space EXTDOS with no logical drive assigned. Try to assign one? Nope. Try to delete it? Nope.

My ultimate goal is 8gb C, 22gb D and both FAT32,

Can anyone refresh this old DOS hackers memory how to dump NTFS partitions from a floppy? I'm clearly missing a simple solution.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You can use PartitionMagic 8.0 to do the converting. But as far as I know, if you are using anything else you will have to delete both the exteded and primary partitions before you could format in another filesystem. Let me look in to it, also have you tired using the Windows XP bootdisk(not the CD but the bootdisk creater from the Microsoft website). Hope that this helps.

Cap

Cap

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks, Hooper. Problem has been solved.

I've found an old DOS based command script called debug.exe that wipes out the MBR and allows fdisk to see a totally blank drive. Salvation. :tazz: