Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 4600 Internal Cable Config.

• Please log in to reply

chromedog

chromedog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am rebuilding a Dell 4600 Dim - in a mini tower case and orig. mo bo - I am wiring up the front panel lights with the wiring harness that came with the oriignal Dell that was in this tower. I have the orig. mo bo, video card, CPU, heat sink, ect. (I replaced the burned out PSU). The mo bo wiring connector (blue) has a series of multi colored wires, red, green, white, ect and a blue wire and an orange wire. The orange and blue wire are not connected to the blue connector that connects to the mobo. My question: Where do the orange/blue wire need to be? The computer has a floppy drive, CD ROM as perphs. I can not locate a wiring schematic for this computer.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you look at the plug on the wire...it should say what it is...like pwrswtch or spkr or something like that...if you look reeeeaaallllyy close to t he mobo...you'll see the same letters etched on the board whre those things plug in...i'd get a magnifying glass and bright light

chromedog

chromedog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I need a road map to re-patch the systems cables for a DELL 4600. I have a 40 pin ata cable (master) patched from the primary hdd...the "slave" patch is patched to the CD rom drive. That cable is patched to the systems mobo - primary ide....I did have the 3.5 floppy patched directly to the mobo....The floppy usese a 34 pin connector ..the hdd and the cdrom have 40 pin connectors...What is the correct protocol for the hdd and floppy as far as which is master and which is slave? I am using the original dell 4600 dimension mobo--3.5 floppy and hdd...

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
IDE Hard Drive Connection
28th Jan 2006

The correct Hard Drive Cable Connections –

1- Primary Motherboard IDE Connector –

A- Master – Connect to Master Hard Drive
B- Slave – Connect to Slave Hard Drive or Leave Open

2- Secondary Motherboard IDE Connector –

A- Master – Connect to Master CD/DVD Drive
B- Slave – Connect to Slave CD/DVD Drive or leave open

3- Floppy Connector –

A- Connect Master to Master Floppy
B- Connect Slave to Slave Floppy or leave open

You should try to avoid connecting a Hard Drive & a CD/DVD Drive to same IDE Motherboard Connector –

If you connect a CD Drive & Hard Drive on same IDE Motherboard Connector – The CD Drive will slow the Read/Write Speeds of Hard Drive –

Floppy Drives have a separate Floppy Controller – [34 pin connector]

Jack123

chromedog

chromedog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the information Jack123. I am still having difficulty with getting the hard drive to be detected.
I have the hdd onthe primary ide mobo connector...the cd rom is on the secondary ide connector...the floppy is on its connector on the mobo. The cdrom is detected as is the floppy...The hdd is not being detected...I have the cdrom set to "master" on the jumper and I believe the hdd jumper is set to "master" .. I turn on the computer and I get the Dell bios screen for setup...it trys to boot up and then tells me the hdd does not exist. F1 to retry and F2 for setup....

chromedog

chromedog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The plug does not indicate any of that info on it. The plug itself is blue and plugs in as one complete unit
or plug onto the mobo. Below is a picture of the plug that I am working with. The view is the bottom of the plug:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

From left to right (top row) The wire color is as follows: RED - WHITE - BLUE - ORANGE

From left to right (bottom row) The wire color is as follows: BLACK-GREEN -BROWN -(OPEN SPACE) -BROWN
(The "brown" wire" jumps from position 3 on the bottom row to postion 5 on the botom row. There is no
wire in position 4 on the bottom row. )

The only printed reference I see on the mobo is "front panel" ...no other indications of the what color wire goes where. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks .

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
IDE Hard Drive Connection (#2)
30th Jan 2006

http://www.geekstogo...topic=94592&hl=

I am rebuilding a Dell 4600 Dim - in a mini tower case and orig. mo bo - I am wiring up the front panel lights with the wiring harness that came with the oriignal Dell that was in this tower. I have the orig. mo bo, video card, CPU, heat sink, ect. (I replaced the burned out PSU). The mo bo wiring connector (blue) has a series of multi colored wires, red, green, white, ect and a blue wire and an orange wire. The orange and blue wire are not connected to the blue connector that connects to the mobo. My question: Where do the orange/blue wire need to be? The computer has a floppy drive, CD ROM as perphs. I can not locate a wiring schematic for this computer.

Is this Hard drive part of this Rebuild – You make it hard to – [Help] – when you do not disclose all information -

Try posting in – [System Building & Overclocking] Forum –

Use Topic – [Rebuilding Dell 4600 DIM]

In your Post – Say what you are doing & state your problems – And – what you have done so far – and reference these 2 Posts/Threads –

Caution –

Dell is a – [Proprietary Manufacturer] – Which means – They do not use – [PC Standards] – So when replacing Components/Parts – they do not use Standard Connections and/or Connectors -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 30 January 2006 - 08:32 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for continuity's sake...i've merged your two topics.
http://www.geekstogo...topic=94592&hl=
http://www.geekstogo...fig-t94847.html

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Power Wiring Dell 4600 Dimension
30th Jan 2006

The plug does not indicate any of that info on it. The plug itself is blue and plugs in as one complete unit
or plug onto the mobo. Below is a picture of the plug that I am working with. The view is the bottom of the plug:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

From left to right (top row) The wire color is as follows: RED - WHITE - BLUE - ORANGE

From left to right (bottom row) The wire color is as follows: BLACK-GREEN -BROWN -(OPEN SPACE) -BROWN
(The "brown" wire" jumps from position 3 on the bottom row to postion 5 on the botom row. There is no
wire in position 4 on the bottom row. )

The only printed reference I see on the mobo is "front panel" ...no other indications of the what color wire goes where. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

See Attachment -

The mo bo wiring connector (blue) has a series of multi colored wires, red, green, white, ect and a blue wire and an orange wire. The orange and blue wire are not connected to the blue connector that connects to the mobo. My question: Where do the orange/blue wire need to be?

Are there 2 loose Wires – [Blue Wire] & [Orange Wire] - Or just 1 loose Wire – [Orange/Blue Wire]- What does the – [Original PS] Connector – have – Is the new PS – A Dell PS – Or a Dell Replacement – Was there a – Power Wiring Cable Adaptor supplied with PS -

Need following information –

1- Manufacturer of New Power Supply & Old Power Supply
2- Model Number of New Power Supply & Old Power Supply
3- Wattage Rating of New Power Supply & Old Power Supply
4- Do you still have – [Original Burnt PS] – Can you give a description of the Motherboard Power Connectors – [Pin # /Color]

Jack123

Attached File  Power_Connector.pdf   23.62KB   214 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 30 January 2006 - 02:27 PM.