Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sims 2 DVD Edition will not start

• Please log in to reply

tomthumb39

tomthumb39

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just to be as thorough as possible... here are some of the specs for this particular computer.

AMD 2500+
768MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 with 128MB DDR RAM
Win XP SP2 with all the latest updates (set to automatic)

I installed the DVD edition on this particular computer and when I go to start it up via the shortcut, executable or inserting the dvd, I get the following message:

Please insert the correct DVD-ROM, select OK and restart application

I get the same message when installing the university & nightlife expansion packs as well.

This is an original DVD with an original serial number. A few minor scratches on it, but nothing to prevent it from installing and playing since I did have it installed and working when it had an AMD 2000+ with 256MB RAM and Win XP with SP1. I don't think the service pack makes a difference because I was succesful installing it on a computer with SP2 installed.

At this point, I downloaded the latest patch and installed it. Downloaded the latest version of DirectX (9.0c) and installed it, but to no avail. I even went as far to install it on another computer (AMD64 3500+ / 2GB RAM / ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro with 128 MB DDR RAM / Win XP SP2 with all the latest updates (set to automatic). It was successful without doing all the legwork I did for this particular computer. Any ideas?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello tomthumb39 and welcome to G2G!

Do you have any CD/DVD cloning software installed? (such as Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, Clone CD/DVD).
Have you tried a different DVD drive?
Have you tried updated the firmware on the drive?
Have you tried changing the transfer mode on the DVD drive to PIO only mode?

tomthumb39

tomthumb39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the hearty welcome!

nero 7 installed on that computer.
Its the only dvd drive on that computer.
The firmware has not been updated. I will look into that and let you know shortly
I can look into switching the transfer mode over to PIO only mode and let you know shortly.

tomthumb39

tomthumb39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Updating the firmware did not help
Switching the IDE channel to PIO mode worked but will that affect CPU performance?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
PIO transfer mode does require the CPU to be involved during the transfer of data. Easiest thing would be to change it back when you aren't playing.

tomthumb39

tomthumb39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Very good. Thanks a bunch!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
That's ok, glad you got it sorted!