Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ourlook Express Error Message

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Keep getting the following error message when I open Outlook Express and assume I have not configured something somewhere:

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid command.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Anyone got any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi supernewbie,

See if this helps :

Setup Outlook for Secure Password Authentication

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you Linkmaster for your help.

Did that with each of the four mail accounts. And tried to synchronize and got four messages as below for each mail account:

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: '******', Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid command.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

(PS I put the asterisks in to protect privacy).

I had a good look through all the stuff in the tools menu. Looked at the options and to be really honest I don't understand a lot of the options I am supposed to be choosing from. I looked up Microsoft Help and was still baffled - eg I really don't understand what IMAPI is. Also I'm not sure which Security features to enable.

Thank you. :tazz:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hmmm... Did the Secure Password ticks on all four accounts and couldn't bring any of the mail down. Rang the ISP who told me to untick because they do not support. So unticked and checked with them that I had all the settings right and things now seem to be OK with all the mail downloading. :)

HOWEVER .. :tazz: .. cannot work out how to download my sent mail. (I've been using 4 email accounts on the server and have decided that I will use OE as I now have such wonderful support from you great people!!)

Any ideas about this?

Many thanks

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Have since found that I cannot download my sent messages, so have cut and pasted them into word. Thank you very much Linkmaster for your help. Am using OE now instead of the server for all my email and it is working beautifully. :tazz: