Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after unspypc some desktop and start menu icons won't work!

• Please log in to reply

thehootmen

thehootmen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the unspypc.exe and had a nightmare getting rid of it. After, my display properties tab was completely frozen. I was able to access it in safe mode. In safe mode I have two profiles, administrator and myself. In normal mode I only have myself and I am shown as the administrator - I mention this because while I was trying to get rid of unspypc the administrator account in safe mode was uneffected. I found temp files that kept spawning themselves and even using killbox they just would multiply - i'd get rid of the last one and then there would be three again. During this time my screen still showed the virus .html desktop and my display tab in control panel (accessed through file system) was still frozen, no selections available of any kind. I went to my start items in sysconfig and stopped these from starting:
Recgaurd
AGRSMMSG
ALCXMNTR
ps2
PSDrucheck
SetHook
KHALMNPR
dmxim
msmsgs
(and two items that had just blank space)

After that I could get rid of the temp files and after the temp files were gone my display properties tab unfroze. But things with display are still wacky because my visualization options don't all work - I can't get the rectangles under the icons to go transparent...have tried multiple times. From my start menu I cannot open my recycle bin, control panel, or any of my folders but all the shortcuts work. Same with the desktop - no folders will open but shortcuts will open. From the file system I can get to everything and it seems fine except in recycle bin I have no options to EmptyTrash or select all (don't know if that means anything) When I click the folders I see the hourglass like it is trying and then nothing. If any of you are familiar with how Firefox does that when it hasn't closed properly this acts the same way from what I see on the screen.

None of the things I read to remove unspypc worked and all I did was get rid of everything I could find (sorted files by date and got rid of the new ones) did all the registry items recommended, ran every virus scan talked about and even did a system restore which came back with a message that nothing was different from my restore point!(which was three days ago). I'm hoping someone will know what could be missing/turned off or interfearing with these folders opening. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.