Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DRAm timing advice

• Please log in to reply

Doz

Doz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello
Reallly appreciate some more advice / info if poss.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLi Premium.
I also have Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200 memory.

I am running it with an AMD (San Diego) Athlon 64bit 4000+

People keep saying that the timings for AMD should be set to 2.5-3-3-6. But the BIOS has (in auto mode):

Memoclock: 400 MHz
CAS# latency (Tcl): 3
Min RAS# active time (Tras): 8T
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 3T
Row precharge time (Trp): 3T
Row cycle time (Trc): 12T
Row refresh cycle time (Trfc): 14T
Read-to-write time (Trwt): 5T
Write recovery time (Twr): 3T
1T/2T memory timing: 2T

Does this have anything to do with the 2.5-3-3-6, and how can I make sure it is set up correctly.

I am running BIOS 1009 which is the latest for this board.

Many, many thanks

Steve

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The BIOS has set those parameters because its what the memory has told it they should be set at. Therefore to try and set them to anything else will usually mean it won't work at all or will not run at an optimum speed.

Manually fiddling with the memory timings when you don't know what they're supposed to be is basically a receipe for disaster because it'll only be a matter of time before the memory is asked to do something at a speed it can't cope with and it'll confuse Windows.

Doz

Doz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Neil

I just assumed that it could cause a problem if it was out of step with what the manufacturer said.

But since everything is working fine, I guess I should leave well alone...

Thanks again

Steve