Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temperature Question

• Please log in to reply

unrooting

unrooting

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My current set up:
Athlon 64 3200 + Venice w/ stock hsf and silicon thermal grease 2.0ghz not overclocked
Gigabyte GA-K8U-939
512 ram PcC3200
nVidia Geforce FX5200
96mm fan on the rear as an exhaust
80mm in front pulling air in

I have had alot of problems with the heat of the cpu (would idle at 55C). Reapplied thermal grease twice and changed my case fans around. As of right now I have gotten to run at these temp specs. I have read about problems with the bios reading the wrong temperature. With my mother board came an application called EasyTune which allows me to watch my cpu and system temperatures. I have never seen my system temperature go over 30.

As of right now with quiet and cool running its idles at about between 20C - 25C VCore 1.1 (and has been running for atleast 30 min) with c&q turned off it idles at about 27-30C VCore 1.4. This has been a huge improved over the last week since buying my new motherboard and cpu. The problem I find is when I play a game (game being Unreal 2004) my temperature greatly increases. At first it goes into the high 40's low 50's then gradually increases and after about 6 minutes of playing the game i'm in the 60's with the highest i have yet it go 68 and its still going up. I have decided to mod my case adding a three fan in the side point direct into the cpu fan (have not gone back home to do so). During idle times the cpu heatstink remains close to room temperature and the same goes for when the temperature was at 68. The computer did not reboot at this temperature but I have had it happen earlier this week being why i have started paying more attention to my temp while playing games.

I have always thought that this is way too hot for a cpu to be getting! Am I wrong in my thinking? w/ this is my first AMD cpu. If not, does anyone have any idea's on to how I could help to reduce this from happening?

Edited by unrooting, 28 January 2006 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
:tazz: Don't sweat yet. Most all Athlon 64's can safely run in the 65-70C Range. You should have a data sheet with the purchase of your proc giving you the exact details. If not, get the serial #'s off the proc and go to AMD.com and search out the data you need. Start by following the links to your proc (the Athlon 64 page), then look on the right side of the page, there is some technical links, one of those should list the proc by serial number and give you a proper range.

The idling at 55C is strange, do you have a lot of apps running in the background? Open up your task manager and check the CPU usage chart. Just sit there for a minute and watch the chart. It should only blip on and off, if at all. You should see 0% most of the time. If you see lots of action, then you have something going on that is using proc cycles and you don't know it.

Good luck and get this fixed so you can keep on gaming.

unrooting

unrooting

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was looking at the tech documention and it says the max temp is 70C. I can not figure out why if i am using 100% of the cpu the tempature raising over 30 degrees.

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Im not sure if I understand what you mean about raising 30 deg. What is your computer doing that the CPU is at 100%. During random tasks you'll see a 100% spike every now and then, and you'll see a constant 100% when you are gaming or video editing and such.

Again, i don't really understand your current issue. Go ahead a game and keep on eye on you temp. If it climbs quickly to 68 or so, don't worry, but if it continues beyond 70, you could have a CPU issue.

unrooting

unrooting

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
While during a game the cpu is at 100% and the temperature increases over 30 degrees from idle. I have yet to allow it to reach over 68 as according to tech spec the max temp for my cpu is 70C.

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I would have to say that a 30C rise that quickly does not sound correct. But, you should let it go and see if it rises over 70. If not, don't worry about it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well from an AMD chip and especially a venice i would be a bit worried with those temps(i would be worried at anything above 60 on any chip there is what it can run at and what it should run at two totally different things), ive got one and my full load temp is 42 to 44C and thats under max load in a relativley warm room for several hours. The venice is a very cool chip. Your idle temps though seem very cool, too cool i would say unless you keep it in a cold room. Since you reapplied the thermal paste i would think its either a bum HSF(it is possible to get ones where the metal they are made of is impure or something went wrong with the cast) or you have inadequate system cooling.

It could be a faulty temperature sensor if it is a bios update should clear that up if its a software problem with the sensor(often they are not calibrated a newer bios revision will correct this sometimes).

Thermal paste wise, get arctic silver 5 its the best and it doesnt cost anymore than the other stuff about. Also are you cleaning the hsf and cpu properly when you remove the thermal material and are you applying thew correct amount, you need a very small amount, tiny just enough to put an incredibly thin film over the top of the cpu.

If that still doesnt work try an aftermarket HSF, something along the lines of an arctic freezer 64 would do nicely.

On the case, its not great but its not bad either, a side fan might help(get a 92mm or 120mm fan) if youre up to putting one on it wont hurt the temps to improve airflow.

unrooting

unrooting

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thankyou for the suggestions i'll have to try those and see if i get anything different. AS to the room temperature I am in a dorm and my room has not have heat so the room is pretty cool. Als what is the best way to clean the cpu and fan when you reapply the thermal grease and is concerns to the bios i have the newest update for my motherboard.

Edited by unrooting, 30 January 2006 - 12:41 PM.