Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Networking, very simple

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well I want to connect my Laptop up to my Computer so I can play games against other members of the family. Now I have a cross over cable and an Ethernet slot in both Computer and Laptop.

*Problem*
I only have one Ethernet slot in my computer. And that is used to connect to the Internet, So I want to be able to take that out and insert the cross over cable into that Ethernet Port. But im not sure how to link the computers over, when one computer doesnt have a valid internet connection.

So can anybody offer me a simple tutorial on what to do?

Thanks,
Aaron

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
create a network.

This answer is in no way helpful...as a geek in training we expect you to be a little more curteous than this..if you don't have any help to offer...don't post

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Aaron,
When you're playing with your family member(s), do you still want to be able to play online? Or, do you just want to vs your family member, without any other users? If so, then you can create a Peer-to-Peer network, between your computer and the laptop, and then play games over your LAN. However, if you want to play online, then you'd have to either insert two NIC's in the computer connecting to the Internet, or alternately purchase a hub, switch or router.

A peer-to-peer network is very easy to setup, just connect the two computers, and then run the Network Setup Wizard -- if you want more detailed instructions, then let me know :tazz:

Edited by Dan G, 29 January 2006 - 12:14 AM.

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yea, I just want to be able to play offline, over LAN. So yes please, could I get a more detailed disciption of how to do a peer-to-peer network.

Looking foward to hearing from you,
Aaron

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay :tazz:
First of all, connect your two computers via the cat-5 cross-over cable. The setup you're going to do is "Internet Connection Sharing" -- I know you aren't going to be sharing your Internet, however this configuration applies to your Peer-to-Peer network, and it will setup the proper IP Schema between your two computers. Below, I will refer to your main PC as the 'Host', and the laptop as the 'Client'. Please note that you may need to disable/configure your firewalls before this setup will work properly.

On the HOST PC, please run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect through this computer, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Host Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
On the CLIENT PC(s), please run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Client1 Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter the same Workgroup Name that you used on the HOST computer, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next and end the Wizard.
Your LAN should now be configured properly; it is now time to setup ICS.
On the HOST PC, please do the following:
  • Open the Network Connections window (Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections). Here, you should have at least two connections listed: one for your Internet Connection, and one for the Ethernet adapter connected to your Local Area Network (LAN).
  • Right-click the connection icon corresponding to your Internet Connection and select Properties.
  • Choose the Advanced tab, and turn on the Allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet connection option. Click OK when you're done.
  • Verify that Internet Connection Sharing is enabled; it should say Enabled, Shared in the Network Connections window.
Now, you should be able to play the game with your Computer and Laptop, by simply setting a Multiplayer LAN match. It depends on the game that you want to play, as to how you setup LAN matches. Also, it may be necessary for you to properly configure/disable your firewall in order to play games. Once you're finished gaming with your family member, simply reconnect your computer to the Internet/modem, and you'll be able to browse/game online again.

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
When I click the, this computer connects directly to the internet option and click next, it takes me to a screen where it says cannot complete the network setup wizard. My firewalls have been turned off. Is this because I only have one NIC slot on my main computer and I am taking out my internet connection when I am using my network. Should I connect my internet through usb and use the ethernet slot only for networking.

Will that solve the problem?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

s this because I only have one NIC slot on my main computer and I am taking out my internet connection when I am using my network. Should I connect my internet through usb and use the ethernet slot only for networking.

You could try this -- see if it helps.

Edited by Dan G, 29 January 2006 - 04:19 AM.

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks Dan G, It is all up and running now.

Thanks for all your help,
Aaron