Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD or MOBO

• Please log in to reply

yetTObeGEEK

yetTObeGEEK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here is the problem;
Have a SY-P4I865PE Plus Soyo Dragon Plus Mobo and a 200 GB ATA HDD from Seagate. Both 1 year old so every driver available for both hardware installed and Intel Chipset Update also done. Have been using for 1 year but recently tried to install Redhat Fedora Core 2. Installation was default with automatic partitioning and success but couldn't locate the boot. No knowledge of Linux systems so i reinstalled my old system XP pro.
First it didn't format. Several times tried with the XP CD. Tried a DOS Format, end format error: "tables could not be saved". Tried Acronis Disk Editor couldn't read the HDD. Finally added as a storage disk with Seagate Utility Program to another drive XP system installed on but still unstable to save any data on it. Tried another XP installation, was succesfully read, format and install the drive but at the first boot gave error: Disk Read Error hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.
I can install and boot any system successfully from my SATA drive. Is that means my MOBO has a problem with ATA connectivity or my Seagate Internal Harddisk has damaged?
Any idea?
Thanx

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt there is a problem with the IDE. you can see the drive and thats really all it does. Windows has lots of problems when dealing with non windows formatted partitions. It does not even see the partitions usually. I would use the seatools and write "O"s to the drive , then se if you can fdisk and format the drive with windows. I did have a problem with one WD drive in a computer that i ended up using a set of XP home floppy disks( 6 of them) to fdisk and format a drive after using the WD toold to write "O"s to the drive.

SRX660