Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port wont work

• Please log in to reply

stazure

stazure

• Pip
  • 4 posts
computer: 5 usb ports; 1 in front; 4 in back
psp: ac adapter missing, can only be recharged a 2-in-1 cable that provides both usb 2.0 and ac power(5V) to recharge the psp.

my friend wanted me to see if i can add a few things to his psp since he doesnt know how so i took it home and connected it to the usb port on the front of my computer it worked once, then whenever i reconnected to the port it was dead. i have to move my cpu and connect the psp from one of the 2 spare ports in the back which is extremely inconvienent. Now I cannot even connect my flash drive to the front usb, and it wasnt doing this before. On top of that, whenver i connect anything 'usb' to the front usb it now tells me that my usb hub has exceeded its power limitations, gives me a power surge error and makes me disconnect it. I know that the front usb is still functional because when i plug something in it gives me an error, yet when i plug it into the back usb it works.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

It sounds like the front USB port is not a root hub which means it is only capable of supplying 100mA instead of 500mA.
Do not attempt to connect the PSP or any other high power USB device to the front port. If you have a USB mouse (or similar low powered device) & you receive the same error message when conencting it to the front port then try this...
When you see the error message, it should give you the option to 'close' or 'reset'. Disconnect the usb device from the port & click 'reset'. See if this helps.

Apart from that, to be honest I don't recommend using front USB ports for anything. They tend to be prone to static damage which can in turn, damage the motherboard.
If you like the convenience of the front port, then I suggest you buy a self-powered USB hub which you can connect to a rear port. This way you can position the hub in a more accessible place.

stazure

stazure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks that sounds like it might be the problem, i'll connect it to the back ports, but problem is, i still cant get the flash drive, which has been working in the front port for months, to work anymore.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
does it work on the rear ports still?

stazure

stazure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes it does, but my computer desk is literally against the wall, and i have to move the entire thing(monitor, tower, printer, 50 million cds books stuff on top) everytime i want to use the back, and i use the drive pretty often. not to mention im getting a digital camera and ipod, which means im going to use that port a lot more and i need it working..

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
USB Ports Info
30th Jan 2006

You could use –

1- [External Powered USB Hub] –
http://www.usbgear.c...a...653,210,212

http://www.usbgear.c...s=104&catid=104

2- [USB Adaptor Card/Front Panel HUB]
http://www.usbgear.c...a...134,103,104

3- Browse for more

http://www.usbgear.com/

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 30 January 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

yes it does, but my computer desk is literally against the wall, and i have to move the entire thing(monitor, tower, printer, 50 million cds books stuff on top) everytime i want to use the back, and i use the drive pretty often. not to mention im getting a digital camera and ipod, which means im going to use that port a lot more and i need it working..

I appreciate that which is why I suggested you get a USB hub. See Jack123's links above for a better idea of your options

stazure

stazure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
-_- my front Bus is dead isnt it.

thank you Samm and Jack123 for all your help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspect so, yes. And even if it isn't completely dead, I really wouldn't risk using it again if I were you. It is possible to completely destroy the motherboard by using a USB header (i.e internal fly lead) that is incorrectly wired, not properly earthed or just generally dodgy!

Remember that rear USB ports on the motherboard are 'usually' soldered straight to the PCB of the motherboard & so are much safer to use.

To be extra safe, I would also advise that you disconnect the power from your computer, open up the case & disconnect the front USB lead from the motherboard completely. At least this way, if you forget & accidentally plug a USB device into the front port, there's no chance of it doing any damage. If you're not comfortable about opening up the computer yourself, then get a competent friend to do it for you!