Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP crashed

• Please log in to reply

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So, basically my new computer that I just built after my old one totally crashed just lost it after about a week of having it running, (making me really mad because I've been without a real computer for about 90% of the month). It was starting to run a little slow as can usually happen when a computer is left on for a week, so I restarted, but when it tried to boot XP Pro SP2 from my harddrive, it just got to a black screen with a 1-2 pixel thick purple line running about 3/4 of the way across the top of the screen. What sucks is that I had just moved all of my files from my other computers to my new one that was finally my own computer with only my stuff on it. I took advantage of that and as I was setting up sharing at stuff, Windows asked me if I wanted to encrypt my files (or something like that) so only I could access them, and I was all for it so my mom (the nosiest evil person ever) couldn't get to them; however, since it crashed I have no way of logging on, and therefore, my files are still encrypted meaning, I can't even put them onto another computer. If anyone could tell me how I can restore XP so that I can log in and still have it recognize me to give me access to my files, I would be very grateful. It just sucks being locked out of your own files, and I'm worried that if i try to restore/ repair windows on my own, I'm going to delete my files or not do it right and still be locked out because it won't recognize me as the same user, both of which would do no good. Or if theres any way that I could unencrypt them to put them on another computer.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first run a windows repair (see link thread pinned at top of forum)

Also, check hardware...are these all new componants? Sounds suspiciously like a bad video card