Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Upload Speeds with a Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply

Terra-Medic

Terra-Medic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello,
I am currently helping a friend troubleshoot his internet connection. Right now he is experiencing almost no speed for his outgoing connection. He is able to download fine, and in programs such as aim people are able to send him files, however he is not able to send files, or make connections.

I have scanned his system for virus, spyware, and the like and after a pretty exhaustive search there really was nothing that would cause this problem.

We have tried to disable his firewall on the system, as well as enable the firewall and block off ports to see if, perhaps something nasty was clogging the connection but nothing.

He is currently using Comcast as his provider. He has talked to Comcast (and like most cable companies) they have assured him it is nothing on their end. Comcast has also come out to the house and checked all the outside connections.

At this point we have narrowed the problem down to the router.

Two computers are connected to the router. and both systems are experiencing the same issue (i cleaned the other system too btw) Talking with comcast the MTU setting has been set in the router to 1500. The problem is still there. I have my friend looking into a firmware upgrade for the router. They are currently using the WRT54G model. I will also note that this problem occured with an earlier router. This router was bought as a replacement and while it has helped with some general speed issues the upload it still a problem.

Both systems are running XP, however, neither of his systems is running service pack 2 (which could make this whole post invalid) I am urging him to upgrade but hes backing up his system a bit too slowly :tazz:

At this point I am at a loss and the problem just seems to be getting more complicated, any insight would be wonderful.

Thank you

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Terra-Medic!

The reason that your friend cannot send any files or make any connections is that he needs to forward ports through the Linksys router to his computer. The router acts as a firewall and doesn't let any data through ports until those ports have been given permission to move through the router to its destination computer on the network.

You will need to check the support pages for the programs in question and then the Linksys website for how to forward ports through your particular router.

Fenor