Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do i have a burned out motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

snachitobandito

snachitobandito

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[size=7]

I have a home built computer. It has an asus motherboard with a p4 2.4 Ghz chip, PNY Nvidia verto 128 mb video card (the motherboard also has built in video) and 512 mb of memory. I have had no problems with it the past year and a half . About 6 months ago, I would turn on the computer and it would sound like it was booting up , but, the monitor would not come on. I would have to cold boot it 15 to 20 (or more) times until the monitor would turn on . Before, it made a beep before it would turn on the monitor and now when I start it up, the hard drive spins ,but I get no beep, no bios , nothing on the monitor , nothing. Everything else seems to be working. Cd-rom ejects and spins when I put a cd in it, hard drive is spinning, floppy spins, but the monitor wont come on. I tried resetting the bios by turning off power , removing battery , switching jumper over for 10 seconds , but I get nothing. I also tried plugging into the built in video after taking out the video card , nothing. I also tried it with a different monitor that I know has no problems, nothing. The monitor itself has power, but, I dont get that "click" that a monitor makes when the computer boots it up. Could it be that the built in video is burned out ? Would that affect the video card? Also, if my built in video and AGP slot are burned out , how can I test it to know if my motherboard is fried? :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I woudl test the power supply first, which is what it sounds like went bad.

A power supply actually provides three voltages--3.3, 5 and 12 volts.

It sounds like your 3.3 rail is blown--with the 5 and 12 volt rails, you could still push start, hear fans, see lights, but neither the CPU or videocard will power up (both use the 3.3 rail)

Even your symptoms are a sign of a power supply going--sometimes, it fires and sometimes it does not a few times before dying completely.

Borrow a power supply from another machine...unplug the motherboard drives and video card, and plug the borrowed PSU in...you do not even need to mount it in the case...just set it on a book next to the case and plug it in.