Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Between DDR and DDR3

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i was looking thro graphics cards, and it caught my eye. i was looking between a XFX GeForce 6600GT and a Gigabyte GeForce 6600. i saw their DDR and it says

XFX GeForce 6600GT - DDR3
Gigabyte GeForce 6600 - DDR

whats the difference? is one faster than the other? does it work for a standard computer?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
basically DDR3 is faster than DDR like DDR2 is faster for your computer DDR3 is the fastest memory chips available for graphics cards so that would be alot better than just ordanary DDR

but yes it will runn fine on a normal computer it has nothing to do with the speed of the computer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt get a 6600GT they are pretty guff, try an x700 performance is more or less the same and its usually significantly cheaper. DDR3 is better. If you want a decent gfx card it would be worth it to bite the bullet and get a 6800GS or a x800GT they are much better cards than the price difference between that and the 6600GT would implie.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

get a 6800GS or a x800GT they are much better cards than the price difference between that and the 6600GT would implie.

they cost alot, and i dont have much money, i kno there pretty good, but its out of my range lol
----------

i have a ati radeon 9250 . would it be a good upgrade it to 6600gt?

im also worrying about the price range too. i was looking at a price between a x700 and a 6600gt. the x700 was like 129$ CND and while the 6600GT i was looking at 189$ CND at my local computer shop. wouldnt the 6600GT be better than the x700?

Edited by silencer.dot, 31 January 2006 - 08:29 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You need to find out first if you have agp or pci express available for a video card upgrade.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you need to find out what slot you have, the x700 and 6600GT are both equal in performance ore or less its just the 6600GT was ridiculously overpriced and still is, the 6800GS costs $185 on newegg but i dont know the conversion between US and CND and if you know someone from the us you could aways get them to get it for you and then you can pick it up or you can get it shipped to you.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
A 9250? yes the difference would be night and day. But yeah you need to figure out whether you need to figure out what graphics slot you have. Im guessing since you're upgrading form a 9250 you either have an AGP slot, if that card was used for it anyway. Some 9250's are for pci too.