Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports Not Working

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I get no exist on that article...do you mean they really fessed up to this issue? I'm stunned. I had a dell dimension 8100 on my workbench for a week trying to resolve an issue with the stupid thing not working with a printer.

Dell blamed Lexmark
Lexmark blamed Dell
Both blamed Microsoft

So do you think I should actually give the patch a try or is that negative? Thanks

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Consider this...go to devicemanager, and double click on each USB ROOT HUB...go to POEWR MANAGEMENT and UNCHECK "allow windows to shut this device down to save power"

Alright thanks, I will give it a try and let you know what the outcome is.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I could not download that patch...could you? I get file not found

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...while you're in the properties screen for the root hubs...plug something in and check the power tab....you should find one of the hubs showing a device..even if windows isn't detecting the device...if the hub is working it should register a power draw on the port

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I could not download that patch...could you? I get file not found

I wasn't able to get it either I get the same thing "page not found".

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

also...while you're in the properties screen for the root hubs...plug something in and check the power tab....you should find one of the hubs showing a device..even if windows isn't detecting the device...if the hub is working it should register a power draw on the port

While I was in the properties screen I actually plugged in the floppy disk drive and it doesn't show anything like its not reading it or something. I also did what gerrf told me to do and that didn't help either. Are we running out of options, I think this PC is just jacked, but everything else runs fine on this machine except the USB ports.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I found that stuff after a quick search. It must have been an old article, since the links aren't working. I didn't even click on them to see if they worked. I'll do some more researching...

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I found that stuff after a quick search. It must have been an old article, since the links aren't working. I didn't even click on them to see if they worked. I'll do some more researching...

Thanks allot I really appreciate it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how many usb ports are there?

Did you try them all? Many machines have two controllers, each controlling 2 to 4 ports...you might try the others.

Also, if I recall, this machine has a front usb port on the bottom (this is from memory, can't swear by it)...work there?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

how many usb ports are there?

Did you try them all? Many machines have two controllers, each controlling 2 to 4 ports...you might try the others.

Also, if I recall, this machine has a front usb port on the bottom (this is from memory, can't swear by it)...work there?

The machine has 8 ports, I have tried all 8. It does have ports in the front of the machine.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i can see the drive not working, as it requires 5volts of electricity, but a mouse should work under any usb port....has anything ever been plugged into this PCs usb ports and worked?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

i can see the drive not working, as it requires 5volts of electricity, but a mouse should work under any usb port....has anything ever been plugged into this PCs usb ports and worked?

Actually I don't think I have ever plugged any USB devices into it before.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not encouraging...could have had a bad controller all along

http://support.dell....=2&fileid=91373

you can try downloading the newest bios...cannot hurt,may not help

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

that's not encouraging...could have had a bad controller all along

http://support.dell....=2&fileid=91373

you can try downloading the newest bios...cannot hurt,may not help

Cool I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. I really appreciate that help, thanks.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Wadeb 21 – [USB Ports not working]
1st Feb 2006

Appears that the USB Ports are not connected and/or Enabled –

1st Verify that the USB Controller is Enabled -
1- Enter Setup
2- Navigate to – [Integrated Peripherals] Settings
3- Set/Verify – [USB Controller] – To – [Enabled]

2nd Verify that the USB Ports have the Power Jumpers Properly installed – There should be a set of Jumpers for each Pair of USB Ports – These supply the +5 Volt for each pair – They are either set for [+5] or [+5SB] – but may also be missing –

3rd Front Ports usually have a Connector/Header Assembly & Cable Assembly to wire the Front USB Ports – In many cases – it is wired wrong or is missing –

Usually Dell uses Intel Boards – I do not have documentation for these jumpers – but they are generally marked in sets of 2 – Like USB12 for [Set 1 & 2] – USB 34 for [Set 3 &4] – USB 56 for [Set 5 & 6]

The Jumpers are either set to [+5V] for Normal or to [+5SB] for [Wake UP] – which will require the Wake Up Feature to be Enabled in BIOS Settings –

The rear USB Jumper Sets should be located on the Motherboard near the Rear USB Ports – I do not have documentation – but it is rather straight forward –

I personally do not like Dell – because they generally make – [Own Dell Standards] – Maybe someone has this documentation & can share it with you -

Jack123